First time re-using yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MannyEdwards

Reaction score
I harvested yeast for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it's been in the fridge since. I have a pint chock full of Nottingham, and it smells great, but I've never used harvested yeast before.

Can I just pitch the whole pint into my 5.5 gallons without making a starter? If it doesn't start, I suppose later I can pitch a new pack of dry yeast, and the harvested stuff won't ruin it?

Yes, but it probably is a massive overpitch.

I'd consult a yeast pitching calculator, like mrmalty.com (free on the desktop version) to get the right amount. A pint jar is probably enough for a 15 gallon batch. I use about 1/2 of a pint jar for a 11 gallon batch, usually.

For example, say your yeast is 2 weeks old. You and making an ale and the projected OG is 1.056 and your batch size is 5 gallons. You need approximately 125 ml of a medium-thick slurry for that batch. That is 4 ounces approximately- or 1/2 cup, or 1/4 of a pint.

I harvested yeast for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it's been in the fridge since. I have a pint chock full of Nottingham, and it smells great, but I've never used harvested yeast before.

Can I just pitch the whole pint into my 5.5 gallons without making a starter? If it doesn't start, I suppose later I can pitch a new pack of dry yeast, and the harvested stuff won't ruin it?

According to Mr Malty which gives very pessimisting rates of yeast viability you need

260ml for a 5.5gallon batch of 1.055 wort.

Your pint should be more than enough. 1/2 pint is likely all you need.

I've used slurry before and not needed a blowoff. No more vigorous than other fements I've had.

According to Mr Malty which gives very pessimisting rates of yeast viability you need

260ml for a 5.5gallon batch of 1.055 wort.

Your pint should be more than enough. 1/2 pint is likely all you need.

I've used slurry before and not needed a blowoff. No more vigorous than other fements I've had.

Quite a handy reference, there. Many thanks!

Yes, but it probably is a massive overpitch.

I'd consult a yeast pitching calculator, like mrmalty.com (free on the desktop version) to get the right amount. A pint jar is probably enough for a 15 gallon batch. I use about 1/2 of a pint jar for a 11 gallon batch, usually.

For example, say your yeast is 2 weeks old. You and making an ale and the projected OG is 1.056 and your batch size is 5 gallons. You need approximately 125 ml of a medium-thick slurry for that batch. That is 4 ounces approximately- or 1/2 cup, or 1/4 of a pint.

Excellent, thanks.

Update: I pitched 1/2 pint into 5.5 gal of 1.057 wort, and it took off very nicely. I probably could have done with 1/4 pint, as Yooper mentioned, but I didn't really have any other use for it.

Related question: Has any of you gone more than 5 or 6 generations with yeast harvesting?

Update: I pitched 1/2 pint into 5.5 gal of 1.057 wort, and it took off very nicely. I probably could have done with 1/4 pint, as Yooper mentioned, but I didn't really have any other use for it.

Related question: Has any of you gone more than 5 or 6 generations with yeast harvesting?

Ive gone more than 10 with some of my saison strains and the Conan yeast i use for all my IPAs. I harvest from my starters though so there is more consistency than you would get with harvesting yeast slurry thats gone through a whole fermentation and been exposed to hop compounds

Ive gone more than 10 with some of my saison strains and the Conan yeast i use for all my IPAs. I harvest from my starters though so there is more consistency than you would get with harvesting yeast slurry thats gone through a whole fermentation and been exposed to hop compounds

I want to try that! What do you do; stir it up and skim like a pint off the starter?

Personally, I just make starter 4-5 days in advance to make sure they basically ferment out before I store them. I used to do the usual 1-2 days, but I started getting the lids almost bursting off my mason jars from the not-quite-fermented wort and yeast I would harvest

I make sure to leave the starter undisturbed for 24 hrs before pitching to get a nice dense yeats cake at the bottom. I decant the starter, fill a small jam-sized mason jar near to the brim with yeast, and pitch the remaining portion into my wort

Agreed 100%. I like the no-rush approach to timing starters.

I do starters Monday for a weekend brew.

48 hours on the stir plate, harvest the over-build and lightly cap and label the jars before tightening a couple of days later. 3 days in the fridge leasves a nice big fat firm yeat cake. Very easy to decant off the nasty starter wort.

Gotta love almost free clean yeast:mug:

Starter and extra yeast
5.jpg

Back