First time making cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernardd

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals! I bought a glass 1 gallon carboy, a plastic airlock, and a seal. I got some sanatizer from my local party town, as well as the other things listed. I bought some English cider yeast while i was at it. It said to use within 3- 6 hours but it was cold, and i wanted to use it within like an hour so i put it in some warm water to heat it up while i was sanatizing my stuff. After I rinsed my equitment, i put 4 cups of sugar in a pot with a half gallon of very cherry 100% juice. I brought it up to a warm enough temp to melt the sure without getting it to hot. I proceded to put that in with the other half gallon into my carboy, I then shook up the warmed yeast and put maybe 2 tablespoons of the yeast. Put on the airlock and waited, i woke up the next day to my carboy too me seemed as if it was intensly fermintating.. alot of white bubbles were filled to the brim and also in the airlock. I had water in the airlock and it was bubbling quite fast. I couldnt keep the bubbles out so i open it up and poured out about a cup of the juice, hurryed up and put the airlock back on and it seemed to help. Later on the bubbles didnt rise as much and the bubbles in the airlock slowed to maybe a bubble every six seconds, but the yeast seems to be at the bottom very loose like. If i watch some of the yeast will float up and then back down, but most of it seems to be staying at the bottom. It still is producing C02 it seems but idk if my yeast is dead, or if its done, or what. PLEASE HELP

I sound like everything is ok. As long as your air lock is still bubbling it is still going. Not really sure of the type yeast you are using but lots of yeast varieties settle to the bottom these are bottom fermenting yeast. As for the initial fermentation it was just a very active fermentation should have use a blow off tube. Do not worry i have made the same mistake. Next don't worry to much about as long as thing are going out of the carboy no problem just keep an eye on it and keep cleaning it up as it goes and as it calms down put the air lock back on. As for it being done maybe but not likely. It really depends on what you are going for but should take about a week to be done check with you hydrometer and see where it is at. most of mine finish at .999 or less. Then I back sweeten and age. My current back has been going for about 3 month and I almost never see any active in the airlock but I do still have some bubbles coming from the bottom and a small layer of small bubbles on the surfaces.

But i have to say i made a mistake with this batch i was to add 2 pounds sugar to 15 liters of juice and was not paying attention and measures out 2 kilos of sugar which is 4.4 pounds. So it may take mine a bit longer to finish plus it has been pretty cool here so the fermentation has been slow.

So a bit of advice try and try and try some more it will all be good plus it fun. Take you time do not try to rush the process it just give poor quality drinks..

Well hope that helped.

Back