First time liquid yeast user!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaos

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls!

I had a quick question for the masses here at the best forum on the web!
I brewed one of midwests partial mash mild brown ale kits this last thursday (9-13-12) Pitched a wyeast 1028 london ale at 73f. Today is the 9-17-12 and there seems to be no airlock movement what so ever now! it lagged for around 14 hrs ( it's sitting in a temp control fridge @66) and went pretty crazy for 2 days and now the airlock has bottomed out. I haven't checked gravity as of yet since i like to keep my fermenter closed to avoid the infection. Plus the weather has been nice so the house is open. anyway now i'm done with my spill! how long does this yeast take to finish up? Isn't 2/3 days kinda fast for a liquid yeast? the freshness date was aug 25th. :mug:

It was strange that it finished so quickly. What was the OG? One thing that I recommend is creating a yeast starter.
Do you have a bottle of star san?
Did the yeast packet swell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sublimis
The pack swelled very well and i sanitize everything that comes in contact with my beer and my sg was 1.045! the middle of the road sg is why i didn't make a starter.

Just because the air lock stops bubbling doesn't mean it's necessarily finished. All the air lock does is vent CO2 and keep outside air out. The fermentation is likely going, just not putting off enough CO2 to make the air lock bubble. Give it the minimum 2 weeks to ferment and then check the gravity. My bet is everything fine, provided you maintained good sanitation practices. Cheers!

It's probably fine, just finished the vigorous part of fermentation is all. I use liquid yeast with starters all the time and they'll go crazy for 2-3 days and then slow down. The yeast are still doing their thing, give it time.

Thanks guys i did take a peek this morning and there seems to be fermentation still going on. Still have a lot of krausen on top of there beer. So i will let it be till thursday! Got to move to it to secondary so i can get my next brew in the fermenter. ( I really need another bucket!) :rockin:

Thanks guys i did take a peek this morning and there seems to be fermentation still going on. Still have a lot of krausen on top of there beer. So i will let it be till thursday! Got to move to it to secondary so i can get my next brew in the fermenter. ( I really need another bucket!) :rockin:

Make sure the primary fermentation is finished before transferring. Take a gravity reading on Tuesday and again Thursday and if they are the same then transfer. If not wait another few days.

Get another fermenter ASAP. I have 3 for 5 gallon batches, 1 for a 4 gallon and 2 for 2.5 gallon, plus several 5 gallon buckets that I could use. I have had up to 3 batches fermenting at one time and may do even more as the weather gets cooler and when I get a fermentation chamber built.

Sublimis
The pack swelled very well and i sanitize everything that comes in contact with my beer and my sg was 1.045! the middle of the road sg is why i didn't make a starter.

Like most everyone stated, best way to tell is test your gravity. I like to check mine 2 days with a break in the middle. I like making yeast starters with wort 1.040+. IMO

Cheers

Alright guys i just walked in the door from a very long day and decided i would sanitize up my turkey baster and draw off a sample. Well to my surprise i got a 1.014 @67f. this has to be the fastest primary ferment i have ever had. I will be leaving it till more then likely next wednesday just for S#$t's and giggles before i move it. I did how ever taste the sample and wow the difference in flavor from dry yeast is CRAZY! Liquid yeast brewer from here on out that's for sure!

bleme: I have used s-05, s-04, nottingham, coopers, muntons (which i didn't like!) and i think thats it! I could be wrong, but for a first time liquid yeast user it worked good and even the taste of my sample i pulled tonight on a 4 day old batch was just awesome. Don't get me wrong i will still use dry but if i have the funds at the time to up to liquid i will.

Back