First time large batch. Need starter advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogre9000

Reaction score
I'm preparing to cook my first large batch (27 gals), and could use some advice on how to prepare the yeast.
I'm going to use the Wyeast Activator Danish Lager packs and will need to make enough for a 27gal batch of Dortmunder Export.
What will be the most efficient way to create the starter for this? I've always made 5 gal batch ales so the yeast starter is a little new to me.

I've never done a batch this large before, but I think that building up enough cells from a smack pack would be like building up from a slant. Start with a 2L starter, let it ferment fully, crash cool, and decant off spent beer. Then do a 5L starter, ferment, crash, decant. Then do 10L, ferment, crash, decant, then pitch. I wouldn't brew until you have the starter 100% ready.

It would be a shame to waste so much money and beer on starters. Play with yeastcalc or mrmalty to find a way to make a 4 or 5-gal batch of beer, then use that yeast for your 27-gal batch. I mean seriously, a 5-gal throw-away starter would be kind of nuts.

It would be a shame to waste so much money and beer on starters. Play with yeastcalc or mrmalty to find a way to make a 4 or 5-gal batch of beer, then use that yeast for your 27-gal batch. I mean seriously, a 5-gal throw-away starter would be kind of nuts.

^^^^This. Don't waste a starter, make a beer that has an adequate yeast cake to direct pitch into the bigger batch. :mug:

True, didn't think about that! Glad someone is thinking.

Back