First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldawgBrew

Reaction score
I am setting up my keg system for the first time. I want to run star San thru it first. I hooked up the keg to the co2 and turned it on I felt air coming from the seal and release valve. The keg is empty and I do not have the out line hooked up. Is there a step I am missing?

Did you put keg lube on the o-rings? Are the o-rings new? That will help seal it up. Also, bumping up the pressure (30psi) will help push the lid up to get a tight seal. Finally, try pulling up on the reralease valve a few times to re-seat the o-ring to get a tight seal.

Many kegs don't seal well if you have the lid on and and legs locked in before turning on the gas. Just put the lid in without tightening it down like that. Turn the gas on and lift the lid into place and let the pressure seal it for you before flipping down the legs.

Does the pressure release valve have a oring? I hooked everything up and it seems to be fine. I have water in there now and as long as there is not too much pressure it seems to be fine.

It does. Get some keg lube, or similar it really helps a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh and turn the lid 180 degrees if that's where it's coming from sometimes that helps.

I have it hooked up with a bit off water. So far no blow off yet. Also does it matter how the co2 tank is stored?

You mean inside the fridge or out? Not really.

" Also does it matter how the co2 tank is stored?"

It doesn't matter where it is stored, but it does matter how it is stored. It needs to be standing up.

Latest posts

Back