First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldawgBrew

Reaction score
So this is my first time kegging, I have already washed out my corny and am getting the lines and such on Monday. I don't plan on brewing until the first part of December but would like to get my stuff ready. I will remove the post once my wrench comes but what is the best way to clean out the rest? Do I just fill with star san and turn up the co2? Any advice would be great.

Do I just fill with star san and turn up the co2? Any advice would be great.

You're gonna want to completely disassemble & soak everything in pbw or equivalent, rinse out really well, then sanitize with starsan. You can just turn up the co2 and flush the lines, but you should probably soak everything in starsan first, including the posts. I usually keep an extra keg around with starsan for flushing lines when I'm too lazy to disassemble

The keg was in amazing shape. I rinsed her with hot water then soaked her with pwd for a bit then quick rinsed with star San. Waiting until closer to the keg date to hook her up fill with San and c02 and flush her out. Getting excited just thinking about it.

There's actually no need to fill it completely with or soak in StarSan. Just prior to use, I normally set a cleaned/rinsed keg on the floor with a bucket/spigot above on the counter with the sanitizer. The posts and lid get dunked in the bucket and I'll run the stream of sanitizer through the dip tube as the keg is filling. When it's half full, assemble it all, seal and turn it upside down a few seconds then dump the StarSan back into the bucket. That's all it takes. Wonderful stuff that StarSan.

Back