first time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpie87

Reaction score
Had the beer with the priming sugar sitting in the keg for a week before I got my CO2 tank hooked up. Will it still carbonate? Also poured a little in a glass and it had a lot more sediment than I'm used to. Is this normal at first with a keg or did I mess up the beer?

I keg and I have never primed the beer with priming sugar...I've only carbonated it with CO2. Next time you don't have to use priming sugar. It may not be that clear because you did that, typically my kegged beer is cleaner than my bottled (and primed) beer.

Using priming sugar to carbonate a keg makes it just a really big bottle. It needs to be kept at fermentation temperature long enough for the yeast to eat the priming sugar, and then chilled long enough for the CO2 that was produced to be absorbed.

Otherwise...If you didn't cold-crash or use finings - or just let the beer sit in the fementer undisturbed long enough - before kegging, there will be yeast and fine matter that settle at the bottom of the keg. And that's where the end of the dip tube is, so you will pull some yeast-rich pints until it clears out...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back