First time in secendary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg84

Reaction score
This is my first time using a secondary. Third batch I've brewed. I was wondering if the suds from the star san are okay or if its a problem?

image-1360567227.jpg

Don't fear the foam! It looks a little much, but all should be ok. I've racked on foam plenty of times with no serious after effects. I usually rinse with hot water once or twice after sanitizing then rack the beer. Cheers, mate!

I am fairly new to this myself From the picture it seams like a lot more suds than I am left with. I siphon some of the star San into a glass and return it to the Carboy to assist in swishing the majority of the suds out. The then I tip it upside down and let it drain for 30 minutes on to a paper towel.

Thanks for the responses and advice If not I would have not been able to stop thinking about it.

When you agitate Star San, you can really get some crazy foam like that. It's not a problem though. All that foam is actually very little liquid and it will break down into yeast nutrients.

Never, EVER rinse Star San off. It is more work and increases the risk of infection. Don't let it dry out either. Star San should still be wet when you fill your vessel, just like you did here.

The only potential problem I see is that is a lot of headspace for a secondary. Usually you want your beer to be up into the shoulders of the carboy. If you don't have a CO2 tank, you might consider adding 4 to 16 oz of some kind of sugar (corn sugar, DME, maple syrup, honey, etc) to give you a CO2 blanket.

Sb3000 commented that he/she rinses with hot water which may have worked out okay but is contrary to everything I have read. Rinsing with hot water when Using star San which is a no rinse sanitizer totally defeats the purpose of using the product. Like I mentioned in my earlier comment I just siphon some of the star San into another container then dump out the rest. Then I return some to the carboy, role it around to where the foam is and swish it out and repeat if needed to get most of the foam out. A little is okay though.

Latest posts

Back