First time for everything !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloguy

Reaction score
Hello All, I have been brewing beer since 1973 and encountered something today I have never seen before.
I am brewing 10 gals of a pale lite American lager with Saflager 23 dry yeast in two 5 gal. carboys.
They both were fermented in a temp. controlled fridge @ 59°. After a 7 day ferment I transfered both carboys to secondaries for the warm up diacetyl rest.
While I was cleaning the primaries after transfering, I noticed no yeast sediment in one of the carboys. The other had at least 3/4" of sediment. At first I thought I had added both packs of yeast to only one carboy so I checked the gravity on both secondaries, the beer is exactly the same. In the 7 day ferment, both carboys dropped from a orig. gravity of 1.044 to 1.020.
Can anyone here explain what has happened here? Or, has this ever happened to anyone else?
Thanks for any reply.
Buffaloguy.

Latest posts

Back