First Time Crushing Grains!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarty1

Reaction score
Started at 7am this morning with crushing grains and already have them steeping. Just learned that it doesn't take much to keep water at 150 degrees :) I'm pretty excited that I moved away from kits and went from a recipe this time. Even though its my first non-kit brew I feel like I've done it before already with all the reading I've done on this forum. Next brew will be a mini-mash and I'll definately get a grains crusher. Hands got tired rolling that wine bottle back and forth over them.

Lol, yeah thats not the best method, especially if you are going to move forward to mini-mash. With steeping grains, not so much of a biggie, but for actual mashing you want a good crush. You wont regret buying a mill.

Lol, yeah thats not the best method, especially if you are going to move forward to mini-mash. With steeping grains, not so much of a biggie, but for actual mashing you want a good crush. You wont regret buying a mill.

Can't believe how excited I was this morning just because this one's not kit and I was crushing grains. I went to bed at midnight reading this forum and woke up at 5am to finish prepping the kitchen. On a Saturday! :ban:

Is there anything I can do with the spent grains? If so do the keep in the fridge or something?

I've been searching for that same answer, lol. I do all grain full mash, so i always have 10+ lbs of spent grain. In the fall/early winter when the garden is dead, I till it into the earth. Ive read recipes for dog buscuits, and more recently found a website that has a ton of recipes from burgers to cookies. A lot of them use dried spent grain, where you have to kiln them in your oven at its lowest setting for hours. Too much work for me so I havent actually done it.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/

Pretty cool.

Thanks a bunch for that link, I'm going to try that burger for lunch. You just use the wet grains with other ingredients I already have. I'll let you know how it turns out

tons of people seem to love making those doggie treats. No doggie for me, so I want to try and make that burger.

I was going to use ground beef and no quinoa because I like meat. Probably no egg, since the beef should hold together well enough. Maybe coat the outside with some grains as well. Definitely LMK how yours turns out.

NuclearRich said:
Oh! I just thought of a friend who has some. Do you just feed it to them straight, then and there?

Just right then and there. They will rampage for that stuff. Just be sure to give it to them on brew day, or refrigerate. Like passed pawn said, the grain goes sour very quickly at room temps

Well the beer is done and downstairs now awaiting the active fermentation, only 6 weeks or more now to test it...

I did make the burger for lunch and it was pretty tasty, I took someones idea to use flour instead of breadcrumbs which worked pretty well to help it all stick together. I think the idea of adding beef or turkey instead of quinoa might be a good idea because I've tried it several ways now and I just plain don't care for that grain. Also, make sure you add your favorite cheese, maybe some bacon or whatever you normally put on a burger as i had it fairly plain with a bit more cold bbq sauce and I was wishing for a slice of American cheese and some pickles. I think tomorrow I'm trying it on an english muffin with a fried egg, cheese and bacon.

Thanks everyone for the tips on what to do with the spent grains, my dog is going to love it too!

awesome! next time I brew, I will be having spent grain burgers for dinner. Maybe cook em on the burner for beer instead of the grill, lol.

awesome! next time I brew, I will be having spent grain burgers for dinner. Maybe cook em on the burner for beer instead of the grill, lol.

I know I'm taking my thread way off topic now lol, but when i tried it with the breakfast sandwich this morning I realized this thin patty could have made excellent sausage just the way it was with no change in base ingredients but adding whatever spices make sausage taste like sausage, because the textures perfect. Wife's going to help me with that and I'll let you know how it ends up later this week.

What kind of burner do you use? I have been using the kitchen stove as my burners.

Back