First time cleaning used keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNoExpert

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The keg pervasively had root beer in it by the smell. Kit has some kind of build up on the dip tube and inside walls higher in the keg. It's tough to describe. Kinda off white, not hard but not too loose. Kinda sticky like a glue or adhesive.

What is it? What will clean it so I can sanitize it?

I've put the "All" brand of oxy into it for 24 hours and it didn't do much. For another 24 hours, regular oxyclean did a pretty good job, but it's still sticking in some spots, especially hard to get at spots.

I've got a mix of oxy and TSP90 in to right now, but I'm wondering if this is normal or not.

Root beer is the worst smell/flavor to get out of a keg. Maybe try filling it with boiling water to try to dissolve the syrup. After that try your oxyclean mixture. Definitely make sure you drop the beer out dip tube in there. It could take multiple tries. Good luck!

The oxy/TSP90 got 95% of the stuff off. 20 minutes of light scrubbing and several rinses later and it's good as new.

You guys aren't kidding about the root beer smell and O-rings. The lid seal itself can be smelled from across the room. I have an extra gasket set that I'm replacing everything with. A real shame too. part of the reason why I picked this keg was because it looked like it had been used about three times. Everything is in great condition. But they got to go.

The only thing I don't have on hand to replace are the poppets. I've got some on order but I may have to carb it with the old poppets as they are on the slow boat from china.

I change o-rings periodically anyways. And I would on a used keg regardless of what it had in its previous life.

I have had a former root beer keg, but it was rinsed well and not too root beer-y. Glad yours is now usable.

Back