First Time Cidering Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperTing

Reaction score
So I found cheap cider at the supermarket and I figured "why not!".. so I have a couple questions.

1) Yeast Nutrients? Yes or no? Could I just add calcium and magnesium on their own and avoid purchasing yeast nutrient or is the cider devoid of a lot more than beer wort.

2) I keg, but I doubt I'll really don't want to drink 5 gallons of cider on tap. I'm looking for bottled, back-sweetened, sparkling cider.. similar to bulmers, magners, etc. Would I back-sweeten, then add dextrose and then pasteurize the bottles when they are carbonated to my liking (ie. in 5-7 days)? Im sure theres ample sugars already, if I back-sweeten, so do I bother with the dextrose?

So I found cheap cider at the supermarket and I figured "why not!".. so I have a couple questions.

1) Yeast Nutrients? Yes or no? Could I just add calcium and magnesium on their own and avoid purchasing yeast nutrient or is the cider devoid of a lot more than beer wort.

2) I keg, but I doubt I'll really don't want to drink 5 gallons of cider on tap. I'm looking for bottled, back-sweetened, sparkling cider.. similar to bulmers, magners, etc. Would I back-sweeten, then add dextrose and then pasteurize the bottles when they are carbonated to my liking (ie. in 5-7 days)? Im sure theres ample sugars already, if I back-sweeten, so do I bother with the dextrose?

This is a recipe forum for tried and true recipes, not blind questions.

Latest posts

Back