First Time Cider Maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanTilford

Reaction score
So...

My first attempt at brewing anything; figured hard cider would be pretty easy. Went to my homebrew shop and picked up campden tabs, champagne yeast, a 1 gallon carboy, sanitizer and an airlock.

I got home and proceeded to sanitize everything. I then poured about 3/4 a gallon of apple juice (no preservatives, yes it had vitamin c) into the carboy. I didn't realize how important sugar was at this point so I only added one cup to the apple juice (for a one gallon batch). Oh I forgot I used half a campden tablet on the apple juice first and waited 24 hours before all these steps. I poured a little cinnamon into the apple juice and then pitched the yeast (first time, used cold water instead of hot water).

I noticed after 24 hours that there was bubbling through the airlock but my cider didn't quite look like other pictures on the internet. I have a clump of red stringy fuzzy looking things at the top that appeared around the same time as bubbles appeared in the airlock. It has been two days now and I noticed the top of my cider beginning to clear and I have bubbles in the airlock roughly twice every second or so. So its obviously fermenting but I still have this red stuff floating at the top. It appeared too quick to be mold but is this the champagne yeast? There is no foaming/frothing/anything besides some red stuff at the top, noticeable change of color, and bubbles in the airlock.

Started a second batch with following the correct steps (used more sugar, pitched the yeast in hot water and this time with an ale yeast) and theres already obvious frothing that looks more correct with pictures on the internet.

Sorry for the rambling but whats up with my first batch? :confused:

Sounds like the fuzzy stuff is the cinnamon. Best way to add cinnamon to a batch is to use whole sticks and soak them. Oh and do tell how you fit 4 gallons fo juice into a 1 gallon carboy!

I agree that the cinnamon powder has likely formed strands. It can even get snot-like, hence the reason I make cinnamon stick extract and add it closer to bottling.

Your concern about cider and lacking sugar. Most commercial apple juice/cider has a SG of 1.030-1.050, and your cup of granulated sugar to 1 gallon will add another 0.020---so you have a nice ACV for your batch. Consider adding a few drops of good vanilla extract in a bottle or three, right before bottling as it really pulls things together, especially when you want to use cinnamon.

Um, did you add any pectic enzyme? If not, you will want to go ahead and add it. Unless you are fine with a potentially, and likely, hazy cider.

Oops, I meant 3/4th of a gallon not 4 gallons! Sorry it was late and I was worried about my poor cider.

Definitely sounds like the cinnamon, looks snotty and originally thought it was the cinnamon but wondered how it could un-mix itself and float to the top. Didn't even think about whole sticks!

Thanks for the tips guys, this is an awesome messageboard when you can wake up and your questions have been answered and you even included more helpful advice, will try the vanilla!

Will be posting more as I attempt beer for the first time next week. :) Thanks again!

EDIT: Any tips for avoiding this snotty stuff in my bottled cider? Do you think when I siphon it into bottles it will get divided up enough to not be an issue, or should I try something else.

I mixed it in by shaking the jug vigorously before adding in the yeast. Originally it was just sprinkled on the top.

Soo...new problem. The batch I posted about here is almost done fermenting, about 30 seconds or more inbetween bubbles in the airlock. I added some tannin this morning (about 1/8th a teaspoon worth) and moved it around a little to dissolve.

I come home tonight and notice the cinnamon is no longer floating on the top. I'm super happy! Then I do see one little flake float to the top and it looks like where is white stuff on it but I only saw it for a half second. I moved my jug around a little bit to try and see it and I noticed a few white flakes float to the surface then disappear again.

Is this mold? I'm rushing straight to priming/bottling/cold crashing because I don't want to spoil this batch. I heard it could be dead yeast floating to the top but more afraid it's something bad. Did sterilize all my equipment and use half a campden tablet 24 hours before fermentation.

Thanks again guys.

Soo...new problem. The batch I posted about here is almost done fermenting, about 30 seconds or more inbetween bubbles in the airlock. I added some tannin this morning (about 1/8th a teaspoon worth) and moved it around a little to dissolve.

I come home tonight and notice the cinnamon is no longer floating on the top. I'm super happy! Then I do see one little flake of cinnamon float to the top and it looks like where is white stuff on it but I only saw it for a half second. I moved my jug around a little bit to try and see it and I noticed a few white flakes float to the surface then disappear again.

Is this mold? I'm rushing straight to priming/bottling/cold crashing because I don't want to spoil this batch. I heard it could be dead yeast floating to the top but more afraid it's something bad. Did sterilize all my equipment and use half a campden tablet 24 hours before fermentation.

Thanks again guys.

EDIT: After bottling, realized there was a layer at the stuff at the bottom and this was probably just yeast. Oh well, have to learn sometime! If I'm wrong please let me know. Thanks.

Sorry for the double post but looking to you guys for advice.

I finally bottled my cider and tasted one un-carbonated. The whole time it was fermenting I could smell sulfur coming out of the airlock but assumed it would go away after it was finished (first time brewing, dont know the basics). I tasted my cider and the initial taste was amazing but then it is washed away by overwhelming sulfur/rotten egg type taste.

I used 3/4 of a campden tablet 24 hours prior to pitching the yeast. Is this too much? Most the directions I read say 1/2 to 1 campden tablet per gallon. Is this something that will go away with time or is this batch ruined? If so, how long to wait? My next batch I only used half a campden tablet but afraid it will be similar.

I did add 1/8th a teaspoon of tannin prior to bottling and used a half oz of brown sugar as my primer.

Advice always appreciated, thanks guys.

I wouldn't bother with campden at all if using store bought juice - not necessary. It is usually for knocking wild yeasts from fresh pressed juice.

I wouldn't bother with campden at all if using store bought juice - not necessary. It is usually for knocking wild yeasts from fresh pressed juice.

This is the reason I love this messageboard, whether this is 100% correct or not, you wouldn't get this answer out of a simple recipe webpage. Thanks.

Welcome to brewing!! Now as said campden is for unpasturized and non preserved juices. Since you are using store bought no need. Tannins are not really needed for cider. There is enough in the juice to give it it's mouth feel that it needs. The strong sulphur (rotten egg) smell is stressed yeast. To solve this add some nutrient and energizer to the cider in steps. I would add like 1tsp of nut and 1/2 tsp of energizer at the start of fermentation and then add the same in a couple of days. Now It will go away(the smell and taste) it's just gonna take a while. What you can do to speed it up is to degas your cider, this will release the so2 and it won't be so bad. To do this just whip the crap out if it. Now for the cinnamon, don't use ground all it does is create a snot and look nasty. Use a extract or sticks, add these in your secondary or in your bottling bucket. Good luck any more questions feel free to ask. :)

When you say whip the crap outta it what exactly do you mean?
I have bottled the first batch but have a second batch almost done and don't want it to taste the same! ick

Have ordered some yeast nutrient and energizer for my 3rd attempt.

By stirring it vigorously it will degas the cider and release the so2 from the mix. This will look like small bubbles rising to the top. The larger bubbles will be co2. Just don't introduce o2 into the cider this is bad, what you can do is use a cut wire hanger attached to a drill and this will degas it for you. Do a google search on it and you'll see how to make one its simple. Along with the nutrient and energizer make sure you are fermenting at proper temp for the yeast you are using. This will make a big difference on the stress of the yeast.

Edit: I forgot to say leave the lid cracked on the bucket or whatever you are using. This will help the so2 dissipate easier.

Latest posts

Back