First time brewing, bought a Mr. Beer American Lager Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Higgins

Reaction score
First off, hello all. good to be here, I really like the forum. I have wanted to brew for many years but have never jumped into it and started. So recently I ordered the Mr. Beer American Lager Home Beer Kit.

I know it's not the best thing in the world, a lot different than actually brewing from the real start to finish. But I am starting here and would appreciate any help from those that have tried it and have found some tips and tricks. I do not have the kit yet until Dec. 30ish.

I have read all the instructions, watched some YouTube Videos, etc. I understand fully the sanitizing process.

I have heard the dry yeast it comes with isn't the best and I should get a better kind. Is this true and if so, what kind should I get for an American Lager?

Any other tips you can offer on making these turn out as good as they can be of great appreciation. I do plan on buying real equipment in the future, I just thought I'd start small. Thanks all!

I have had many many gallons of beer made with my little brown kegs. The American lager, it will be beer and probably remind you a lot of the big mass produced beers, won't be wonderful, but will be something you made making it lots better. While on the Mr. Beer train, there are lots of more advanced and better recipes on their site that come out tasting very good. I haven't done all grain very long and did Mr. Beer for years before spending the money on a big kettle, fermenter, burner, etc. No reason you can't make very good beers with their kits without spending the money. Nothing wrong with their dry yeast that comes with it, it ferments and flocculates decently, but US04 and US05 are good substitutes and what I used most of the time.

Just control your fermentation temps...biggest thing to worry about. I just placed mine in a 63 degree area and let it go, no problems.

Second biggest thing, read, read, read and then read some more. Lots of good people helping on the Mr. Beer forum as well as here.

Welcome to the obsession, errrrr hobby.

my Speidel fermenter is bubbling away with mr beer LBKs sitting underneath it. I still have them because I will probably still use them from time to time

I also started out with Mr Beer, SHMBO sometimes regrets giving me that Christmas present [emoji13].

After I used up my Mr Beer kits I went to my LHBS and purchased 3 lbs of extract (dry or liquid), a 1 oz pack of hops, and a packet of dry yeast.

Tip, you might want to keep your LBK in a picnic cooler, I've had that Little Brown Keg's lid come off a couple of times with 3 lbs of extract. That will give you a slightly higher alcohol content too.

Check out the "Biermacht" app for making recipes.

Welcome to the HBT ! Yes this is a very good forum. The best out there imo. Have fun with your 1st brew when it comes in. You can use the yeast it comes with or get a different one . It's all up to you. Most of us started out with kits . I've brewed numerous Brewersbest kits and had good beer . Once you get used to the process you'll adjust and tinker as you see fit . This place is a wealth of knowledge. Whatever yeast you use stay within that temp because its crucial . Welcome to the obsession, within 1 yr you'll have nice shiny fermenters , kettle and a fermentation chamber lol !

We all started with those cheapie extract kits. Follow directions and keep everything clean. U will have a nice first beer. Use what is in the kit and have fun.

Those kits are great for first time brewers; not a lot of equipment needed, and you can make some great beers with them. Do a few of them before deciding if you want to go "bigger" and buy more equipment; you only need to search "homebrewing" on craigslist or your local want ads to find several people selling their complete setups, because it just wasn't the thing for them. Patience is the most important ingredient in any homebrew recipe; that, and having a good process with sanitation. If you're willing to learn, have that patience, and a good sense of fun, you'll grow to love this hobby that is an obsession for many of us. There are some great books out there as well; How to Brew by Jon Palmer is my bible, with Charlie Papazian not far behind.

Back