First time brewer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheap_Bastid

Reaction score
So I decided to get my feet wet so to speak with a batch of apple cider since it looked simple enough..

My recipe:

4 gal Sam's club (members mark) apple juice
5 cans apple juice concentrate
1.5(ish)lbs cane sugar
topped up with a little water

OG: 1.061
Yeast: WLP720 (loved the smell of it when i pitched)

Pitched direct @78° with 1.5 tsp fermaid K

Less than an hr later (within 30 mins probably) it was fermenting, rather vigorously..
I'm glad I went with a blow off tube instead of an air lock because a little krausen
made it into the tube, it rocked 'n rolled for 3 days (1+ bubble per second from a 3/4" blow off tube).
It's now at day 7 and the bubble rate (which i know isn't really an indicator of anything substantial)
is like one every 90 seconds or so..

Should I exercise some patience and leave it alone til I see no more air lock activity and then take a reading?

Rack into secondary, add a little more fermaid? leave it alone?...

Everything I read about WLP720 made it sound like a pretty slow starter and I was kind of shocked lol.
I was prepared for a 4 week fermentation (maybe it still has a ways to go?)

I would stick with the 4 week fermentation for sure.

Is your recipe supposed to be sweet? Curious to try another recipe for my second batch.

No idea what the sweetness will be like as it's my first attempt, it will probably go pretty dry
according to all the other peoples wlp720 experiences that I've read.

I added all the concentrate hoping to get a nice "apple" flavor,
don't know if it actually makes any difference though.

Update: Bottled and primed 3 days ago with 2 cans of concentrate and one oz of sugar i'm thinking
i probably didn't add enough priming sugar to get it very fizzy but it's starting to carb up.

Has a nice crisp apple flavor and it's pretty stout, right out of the fermenter
tasting the sample i took it was probably some of the best i've had, still kinda rough
but i just opened a bottle and i can tell it's gonna be really good in a month or so.

I'll probably do another batch in a week or two using nottingham with just juice and no added sugar

thanks to all the good people and information on this site i got somethin tasty in my cup.. cheers

Latest posts

Back