First Time Brewer - Rhino Fart Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YouGotRobes

Reaction score
I live in a fairly small apartment with my girlfriend. I have the whole area mapped out as to where this concoction will go, but my main concern (and I'm sorry in advanced as I know this has been asked 1000 times) is Rhino Farts.

Here is my question and idea:

If I was to take an empty water bottle, cut the bottom off and affix some dryer sheets into it, then tape the spout to the end of the airlock, would that help.

More so would having dryer sheets that close to the ferment have any effects on the batch.

I understand it's a no way in one way out situation, and I've read a few ideas on here involving charcoal filters or gas masks attached to it.

I've managed to get her all in with this idea, I just mayyyy have left out the process of possible rhino farts.

Thank you in advanced.

Of all the ciders, wines, and beer I've made so far, I've never had any produce and off-putting smell. I've read it's caused by stressed out yeast so keep them happy and well fed and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have no sence of smell so I can't say much, but my girlfiend hates the smell of beer and hasn't complained about my brews. I use a closet to ferment in with a space heater to maintain temp. Its in our bedroom so I think apple jacker is right. The only rhino farts she complains about happen after I drink the beer lol......(someone was going to say it)

Of all the ciders, wines, and beer I've made so far, I've never had any produce and off-putting smell. I've read it's caused by stressed out yeast so keep them happy and well fed and you shouldn't have any problems.

Some strains of yeast will create a sulfur smell and it is completely normal so stress is not always the case.Had two batches of apfelwein going last year and one was so bad it had the whole house rhinotized for two days...The final product had no off flavors and five gallons went pretty quick in my in SWMBO's wine glass.

Stay away from apfelwein (or wine in general) at first until she's fully hooked. Most beer ferments smell fine, though lagers, some wheat beers, and some hybrid ales can throw sulphur smells.

Stay away from apfelwein (or wine in general) at first until she's fully hooked. Most beer ferments smell fine, though lagers, some wheat beers, and some hybrid ales can throw sulphur smells.

^Very true.My SWMBO loves the smell of boiling wort but when the apfelwein gas starts flowing through the house she gets very close to strangling me.

If you're set on apfelwein or cider first, follow her around with a bottle of fabreze and keep a rhino fart force field around her at all times :)

Haha thanks for all the great replies guys. I dug a bit deeper, around 2009 deeper into the search results and found a guy who made a charcoal like filter with a yogurt cup and some polyester that strapped to the top of the blow off

Think I'll try this, where as fabric softener (as great of an idea as it may seem) does have a scent, and the last thing I want to do is screw this up on my first try instead of enjoying a new hobby.

Recently I made 2 ciders. One a half batch with wyeast cider yeast. I got the smell for a day. It was 1.060g.

Other cider was 5g with 1.080g but I used a wine yeast..didnt get any off smells.

Both were at 65f and both had plenty of nutrients. I'm guessing type of yeast also has something to do with it.

Back