First Time Brewer- Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerObot9000

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just joined the site yesterday and have absolutely no experience in brewing so please forgive any re-posts. I just want a few recommendations on how to get started.

And let me reiterate, I have NO experience at all- you can literally treat me like a child and break things down into the simplest of concepts.

I'm on a pretty strict budget and I'm trying to spend ~ $100 USD or less to start with. I've read a lot of info on the site this morning and have a basic idea of what I need. Seems like my best bet is buying a kit for now (including the basic hardware and ingredients) and then gradually upgrading once I'm more comforatble brewing. I'm definitely a hands-on learner so a kit with full instructions would benefit me a lot. I feel like once I get that first batch out of the way, whether it turns out good or bad, I'll grasp the concept of brewing much more easily.

Also keep in mind I'll have to buy practically everything online unless it's readily available at a hardware store... no brew stores in my area that I know of.

So what kits would you recommend for someone like me?
Or should I go another route?

Please tell me what to do!

Again sorry if this has been posted a million times (I'm sure it has) but I've tried to read as many FAQ threads as possible and I'm now overloading on info... I thought this would be an easier approach.

-Nick

If you're really on that much of a budget, you can skim through and read it online http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

But you should eventually buy it to
1) make notes in. Yes, books were made to be USED and annotated
2) support the author and book industry.

Don't feel that starting on a kit is a "lesser" way to learn. A lot of people here started with the Mr. beer kit. Not me, of course. :D The only caution is you'll end up using a few things once and then replacing as you step up in the hobby. In the long run, it may cost a little more to assemble your "optimal" setup. But it will help you get started.

+1 on the online Palmer book. I also recently got into home brewing. I picked up the kit from costco.com about a month ago, and am ready to bottle the English Mild Ale it came with. $99 , free shipping.

Look here.

The kit has everything to brew the english mild, but doesn't come with priming sugar, bottles, and caps. Caps and priming sugar are cheap. When I learned it had no bottles, I just had a couple buddies start keeping their empties. I have been washing them and I already have about 50 bottles.

Oops, one more thing. Get a thermometer from your local grocery store or walmart.

I'd get this.
Then you'd still need bottles (which you and/or your buddies could drink to get) and an extract kit (about $30-35) and "find" a brew pot.

Good luck, brewing is a lot of fun.

I like SoonerDoc's choice, except you can save $10 by substituting a Better Bottle for the glass carboy. This will give you more money to buy ingredients and perhaps a few other things.

You can save even more by skipping the second fermenter altogether, but Midwest's packages will then lose the auto-siphion, which I personally recommend.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, seems like there are a lot of helpful members on these boards.

Bottles are not hard for me and my friends to come across, that can be covered in about a week. I understand screw top bottles are a no-no however, I'll have to buy some good beer. I do need to get a larger pot though, I've only got a cheap 3 gallon stock pot at home. I've got a thermometer but it's not a floating thermometer... good investment?

I'm seriously considering the Midwest starter kit. If I remember correctly, I've heard good things about their products and it seems like everything I need besides ingredients. I'd like to have an auto-siphon, that would be helpful.

If I buy this kit and need to buy the ingredients, I'd prefer an ale or lager to start with (something simple right?). Any recommendations on a good first brew? Keeping in mind I'm on a budget... I have no idea what ingredients cost as I have not looked into it yet.

Thanks again guys, you've been a big help.

You won't be doing lagers without temperature control to get 'em cold for the "lagering" period. Would need a fridge or freezer with a fine-temperature control.

But there are plenty of ales you can do that are "lighter" in color and flavor. Not every homebrewed ale is a hoop-bomb IPA.

Ah, I did not realize there was a "lagering" period. Shows how much I know about beer.

I'm not opposed to IPA's either, I just figured an ale would be the easiest starter beer. I don't know how I came to that conclusion, it just seemed logical.

Assuming that you have ordinary home cooking equipment like a stove, a big spoon, kitchen sink, those sorts of things, just buy a kit. I got the $60 kit from Midwest,.

If you get the $60 kit, an ingredient kit for your first batch, you'll also need a pot. If you have a pot big enough to boil 3 gallons in, great. If not, you should be able to find a pot for a reasonable price. Heck, I found an enameled steel pot at a local Farm and Fleet for like 18 bucks, it was meant to be used for canning, but would work fine for brewing. The $18 one was like 26 quarts...

You'll need bottles too, but I would start trying to collect them. You have some time before your first batch is ready to bottle, so if you can collect enough in that time, awesome, if not, buy what you need. Once people heard I was brewing, everyone started asking if I need bottles. I've had no trouble collecting pry-off bottles...

I was in precisely the same boat as you are like, 2 months ago. If there's someone you know, or a relative, who homebrews, you might ask them if you can help them make a batch, just to get a handle on things. Read the how to brew book online. I read the whole thing before I got started, although I pretty much grazed over the section on all-grain. Bookmark it on your computer so you can refer to it. That, combined with the (very basic) book that comes in the midwest kit, and the directions that come with the ingredient kit, should get you through your first batch.

Down the road, you'll probably want to get that book, and some carboys. But a carboy isn't necessary, especially for your first batch. You'll find you want a carboy later, if no other reason that you want to make a batch of beer, but the stuff in your fermentation bucket isn't ready to bottle. You'll find a lot of stuff you want down the road, but what you really need to get started is a pot to boil in, a sink full of water/ice to cool your wort, a fermentation bucket, lid, and airlock (all in the kit), equipment to transfer your beer to the bottling bucket (hose and racking cane in the kit. I sprung for the autosiphon, it was like $8?), caps and capper (in the kit), and then bottles.

A good first brew might be a brown ale, red ale or pale ale. A lot of choices, actually, but I'd stay away from a true lager (though some "lager" kits actually use ale yeast), beers that add fruit/vanilla beans, etc., high ABV beers (if for no other reason than time). Use dry yeast the first time, which probably eiminates Belgians.

Maybe stick with something inexpensive, so if it doesn't work out great, you won't feel like you lost a lot.

I love brown ales, that's probably where I'll start. Definitely something fairly cheap in case I do screw it up, I hate the idea of wasting money.

Thanks again guys! I'll continue looking into kits and ingredients and (hopefully) be drinking a delicious home brew within a month.

I, and most everybody on this board, was in your shoes at one time. But don't worry...your feet with grow with understanding!

I, too, bought a Midwest kit to get started. And in short order, bought another 6 gallon Better Bottle, a wine "thief" and a clip-on long-shaft dial thermometer. I use the 6 gallon BB as my main fermenter. If I need more fermentation space, I can always use my "ale pail" from Midwest. The "thief" is used to take samples for the hydrometer...make certain the kit comes with a hydrometer! And the dial thermometer is much easier to see than the floating thermometer!

I also bought a nylon mesh bag, which I use for steeping those specialty grains, and for hopping the wort. Use of a mesh bag keeps the mixture much cleaner. And the bags are not very expensive.

Don't forget to buy bottle caps! If the kit doesn't come with any, by all means get some!

I also like to start the fermentation with a "blow-off tube" rather than an airlock. The stoppers are cheap, and the hardware store carries the vinyl tubing you need [7/16" OD for a #10 stopper in a Better Bottle].

Enjoy the addiction!

glenn514:mug:

Thanks Glenn.

Just FYI, I'm looking at this kit- http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-with-two-5-gallon-better-bottle-carboys.html
... because it comes with 2 BB's which seem to be pretty popular and it comes with everything else people have recommended to me.

And this recipe kit- http://www.midwestsupplies.com/honey-nut-brown-ale.html

Just one more question, I'm not sure what kind of yeast I need. I remember someone said dry yeast and only one listed with that kit says dry so I'm assuming it's what I need... What say ye?

Thanks Glenn.

Just FYI, I'm looking at this kit- http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-with-two-5-gallon-better-bottle-carboys.html
... because it comes with 2 BB's which seem to be pretty popular and it comes with everything else people have recommended to me.

Just one more question, I'm not sure what kind of yeast I need. I remember someone said dry yeast and only one listed with that kit says dry so I'm assuming it's what I need... What say ye?

There's a dropdown box on the page to pick which kind of yeast you want. Any of those 4 yeasts are 'appropriate' style for the kit. If you do a little searching, you'll find plenty of information regarding the use of dry vs liquid yeasts, and you'll find that some people have preferences for particular brands of yeast. If you are on a budget, I'd just get the dry yeast. If you follow the directions, sanitize everything, and ferment within the temperature range of the yeast, you can expect a good beer.

Thanks Glenn.

If you're really looking to save money, I'd say pass on the better bottles. You won't need them right now, and buckets are cheaper anyway. Tons of people here (including myself, FWIW) only use buckets. If you find yourself needing an extra one or two (or three or four ... this hobby has a way of creeping up on you!), you can always add it to your next order.

Recipe looks good! Dry yeast is fine.

+1 on the sticking with buckets to begin with. Cheap and durable. I wouldn't go all out and spend $100+ unless you absolutely knew this was an investment in a long term hobby.

Just one more question, I'm not sure what kind of yeast I need.

All the brews I've done have been from Midwest; all have been good, but different; all have used the Munton's dry yeast. I've found two things to be true about the Munton yeast:

1. it starts more quickly if you re-hydrate it...mix it in some water that has been boiled and cooled off to around 80-90° and then pitch it into the wort;

2. the Munton's yeast ferments QUICKLY! In fact, the major initial fermentation of my lastest batch only took about 48 hours. Yes, the yeast are still active in the fermenter, but that initial "blast" is over.

Enjoy the results of your labors!

glenn514:mug:

Back