First Time Bottling - 2 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-ster76

Reaction score
Hi,

I just finished bottling my 1st brew, a nut brown ale. It stayed in the primary for 4 weeks and 2 days; the last seven days were cold crashing it at 5C/40F.

I thought of a question during bottling. After this length of time in the primary, the beer is quite clear and the yeast cake was well formed. Is there still yeast floating in suspension after this length of fermentation and 7 days of cold crashing? Just wondering if it's going to take longer to carbonate the priming sugar. How does this work?

Second question is about taste. I tasted the beer, and although it wasn't bad, it had some sour green apple flavours. Is this indicative of anything or just due to being green still?

Thanks.

The green apple taste is acetaldehyde, an intermediate product the yeast make while eating the malt sugars. It should go away while maturing in the bottles.

I've since read up on Acetaldehyde and have realized that yes, it's the culprit, but it may have come from oxidation after Ethanol was created. Ethanol may have been reduced to Acetaldehyde again. The yeast should be able to convert the acetaldehyde back to ethanol during conditioning. I'll hope for the best and chalk it up to lesson learned if it doesn't go away in time.

Back