First time bottler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allaunabt

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my first batch of cider. It's been fermenting for almost 8 weeks and I'm thinking it's ready. I sampled some with a dropper and it tastes pretty dry, like a champaign, but maybe that's because I used champaign yeast (I may not go that route next time). Anyway, I like it; it tastes better than expected; and I'm ready to bottle it.

Secondly, I have heard of people putting 2 teaspoons of sugar into each bottle. What does that do to it and how does it effect the taste? Also, what supplies do I need for bottling?

Sugar will ferment out completely, so will leave no discernable flavor contribution. The sugar will, however, produce carbonation in the bottle. If you do not add sugar during bottling your cider will be uncarbonated. This isn't necessarily a bad thing...it just depends on what you're going for.

I'd personally feel safer using a priming sugar calculator ( such as the one here http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ ) and dissolving the required amount of sugar in boiling water, then stirring it into your full volume of cider prior to bottling. You'll usually get more consistent results this way.

Well, I don't like carbonated anything so maybe sugar in the bottle isn't the way to go for me :/ What if I only add a bit less than what is recommended? I'll have to look at that calculator when I get a chance. Maybe that'll help.

If you don't want your cider carbonated, don't add sugar. Easy as that.

The only reason for adding sugar is to carbonate it. It won't contribute to flavor, unless you're using a specific sugar that is partially unfermentable such as molasses, treacle, etc.

Do I need to use priming sugar if I decide to go the carbonated route? I might do a few bottles like that just to see how it goes. I'm concerned about bottle exploding, though. How do you avoid that and what makes that happen? I'm obviously very new to all of this....

To carbonate, yes, you will need priming sugar. If you'd like to only carbonate a few bottles I'd suggest carbonation drops, which are pre-measured sugar drops that you can add to bottles individually.

Basically, when yeast ferments sugar it creates two primary byproducts: alcohol and carbon dioxide. When you ferment with an airlock you are allowing the carbon dioxide to vent off. By creating another mini fermentation inside your bottles, you are trapping the CO2 in the bottle and it has nowhere to go but to dissolve into the cider. This is called bottle conditioning, and is a common brewing practice. Bottle bombs occur when too much sugar is added to the bottles and the carbonation level gets too high, causing the bottle to explode.

Use carb tabs or precisely measure the amount of sugar you need and you won't have this problem. I'd suggest the carb tabs, as they'll be easier to use.

Back