First Sour, mold on wort in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkzter

Reaction score
I'm attempting my first sour beer, a sour apple ale using a Lactobacillus Delbrueckii addition from White Labs.

It's been in the secondary (carboy) now for about 2 months, and I'm starting to see some mold patches (white dots, none larger than a dime so far) forming.

Could this be the bacteria that I added?

My understanding is that surface mold isn't a huge concern. I can bottle this weekend, I just wanted to check before I went through the trouble.

Thanks!

~Brad

The best thing you could do would be to post a pic... I've seen some nasty looking pellicles, it may not be mold at all.

I don't have any advice for you if it is mold (not a sour brewer), but a picture would help folks see what you're dealing with.

It is likely a pellicle which is a byproduct of the bacteria to protect itself from oxygen so do not disturb it, let it do its thing and just rack from under neath it when your ready. Picture would help so you know for sure what it is.

That thread is awesome. I've attached some pictures from the carboy.

20160308_222627_25263809299_o.jpg

20160308_222735_25000880814_o.jpg

I bottle this beer on Sunday, it tasted pretty good. Looking forward to trying it out in a few week.s

Back