first sour - lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLOVE

Reaction score
So, I'm taking the plunge. Almost feels like being a brewing virgin all-over again. Add in a cherry or two and well . . . you get the picture.

Going to start with a lambic for my first attempt (60% pilsner/ 40% flaked wheat), 18IBU's. Plan on splitting a 10 gallon batch into two 6 gal plastic fermenters. I'll pitch Roselare blend into one, and lambic blend into the other. 6 months down the road I'll likely pitch cherries or rasberries.

I would like to do my longterm aging in a 5 gal better bottle in order to minimize (or control) O2 (considering an oak stave, but probably not - KISS). My plan is to start fermenting in a 6 gal bucket to keep krausen under control (5 gal BB is too small IME). Can I just let things ferment for 3-4 day until krausen has settled, and then rack to a BB? I might leave behind some trub, but most of the yeast and bugs should be in suspension. From reading lots of your posts it seems that leaving the beer it on the cake is fine (maybe even good), but I'd rather get my beer into something I trust for the long haul and that would require racking.

Likely overthinking things (know I am), but all thoughts comments would be appreciated.
Pete

That sounds like a good plan. I leave mine on the trub and everything with no issues but a lot of people do what you are saying. If you want you can take the bottom part off your autosiphon and suck all the yeast into the secondary with the beer. These beers aren't as complicated as they sometimes sound. There is just a greater investment of time so you want to make sure you get it right.

The last 5-gal batch of Belgian Saison I made turned out one sour bottle; I assume it was contaminated somewhere down the line. It was tart and a bit sour, and totally delicious.

I didn't think about saving the dregs until I had totally emptied the bottle; I'd love to turn out a whole batch that tastes like it.

I would taste both batches before adding the fruit. 6 months might be too early unless you plan to leave on the fruit for 3-12 months.

Thanks gang. I was planning on fermenting in fruit for an additional 10 months but I might also further split the batches to play with different additions.

That's what I just brewed as well

1390606617548.jpg

Awesome!! Great minds think alike. What was your grain bill like? hops? Turbid or std mash?

30% wheat, the rest pilsner, .5 oz saaz, mashed at 158 and sparged with 190 water.
its not traditional but other people have done the same

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Seems totally reasonable. Seems that simple is best when you're pitching bugs and waiting 18 months

New development. Lambic is fermenting, but I also landed a pile of 15 gal French oak barrels for free! Gonna rack in a bourbon porter, at least one other beer (maybe two) and then it gets to live in sour land. Super excited!

Only the lambic blend was a little dated and I added half a pack of 05. It took off like a champ.

Latest posts

Back