First self made recipe, looking for feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
So this is my first recipe, Any suggestions on how I could improve it. Does it sound like it would be decent?

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham dry yeast
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 30.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Not sure how long i would need
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Not sure how long i would need

7lbs extra light Dry Malt Extract
Steeping 0.5 lbs Crystal 10L and 0.25lbs Carapils

Hops Schedule (This is where i need help)
1.0 oz Perle 8% @ 60 mins
0.5 oz Perle 8% @ 30 Mins
0.5 oz Hallertau 4.5% @ 15 mins
0.5 oz Hallertau 4.5% @ 5 mins

and a heaping teaspoon of Irish Moss @ 20 mins

Well, it's a good recipe if it gives you what you want. So, what are you expecting from this recipe?

With an OG of 1.063 and 30.5 IBUs, it will not be very bitter. You have 1.5 oz of hops that will give you flavor (mostly Hallertau), so you'll have a moderate and gentle hop flavor.

The FG on this will leave you with a moderately sweet beverage, especially with the low IBU level. The nottingham with give you a clean taste (sans esters) provided you ferment below 70 F.

To me, this recipe seems like a high gravity, sweet, blonde ale. If this is what you are going for, great! I generally find that attenuating down to 1.010-1.012 works best with low hopping rates (keeps it from being cloying and makes it more drinkable). I also like my blondes clean and crisp, so I'd ferment closer to 65 than 70 F. Hope this helps!

I think the way you have it would be pretty balanced as long as you make sure to attenuate thoroughly. I think you've done a good job at creating a recipe that's "not too hoppy, not too malty." I'm from Oregon, so a "low hopping rate" probably means something different to me than it does to you. That said, I think you'll find a slightly drier beer to be more balanced. As an extract brewer, you can get a drier beer by replacing 5% or so of your DME with table sugar.

I agree with Mew .... due to your OG, and due to the fact that extract-based beers often tend to finish higher than we like, I would recommend reducing to 6# extract instead of 7#, and adding in 1# Dextrose to help dry the beer out. (Less than 15% of your fermentables if you add 1#)

Then, I would, if it were me and me alone, take out the 30 minute Perle addition. It doesn't really "fit" there. In fact, I would take that 0.5oz Perle, and I would split it between your Hallertau additions.

That is to say, at 15 and 5 minutes, add 0.5oz Hallertau and 0.25oz Perle for each addition.

I think this will help to keep the hop flavors from becoming "one dimensional" by tying some of the flavor of Perle into the later hop additions.

Thoughts?

Yeah ill take your advice on the hop additions. So you think it would be better if I took out a pound of DME and added a pound of dextrose? Im a little catious last time i added dextrose the beer had this almost sweetish apple juice like taste. But i guess a pound wouldnt make to much of a diffrence

Just make sure not to go overboard with the simple sugars. I'd try making simple sugars 5% of your fermentable extract. I wouldn't bother with dextrose, just use sucrose (good ol' table sugar).

Back