First scratch grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
Okay, so I am trying to come up with a grain bill for a good malty big IPA, to balance alotta hoppy bitterness. Lookin for some input in the ratio I have here. I have very little experience making a grain bill, I usually find a recipe that sounds similar to what I'm looking for and just tweak it.
Thanks for the help!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403379595.168214.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your grain bill looks good, I just kegged up a nice big malty ipa. Pretty much exact bill as you have there except 3/4 lb white wheat for head retention, but other than that, you look like your going to be in great shape. Mine have in incredible malty flavor, and came out fantastic utilizing cascade and galaxy hops. Hope it works well for you :)

Thanks man! I'm definitely excited.

The plan is to go with Wyeast 1272, how many cells should I ideally be pitching? I just got done building my stir plate and am trying to figure out what I should be shooting for as the yield of my stater. I have a good amount of wyeast cells from a dormant 2nd gen colony.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I personally used white labs California ale yeast, so I have no experience with the strain your using. It all depends on the flavor profile your looking for. At my brewery we use pretty much all white labs and they work great for IPA's, golden's, pales etc. As I posted before I'm new to this forum and it's good to hear what other people are using so let me know how that strain works for a full bodied ipa.

Back