first sake...dead yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstyle69

Reaction score
so, i started a sake a bit ago, just added my last rice addition 2 days ago. ive done everything correctly, had great temps. but im not seeing any activity in my airlock. i can hear activity, but i think thats just the koji munching away. i got the yeast from northern brewer in the mail. when i temped the packet it was at 80*. so im thinking it was prolly hotter at some point and killed the yeast.

next step?

would getting another yeast packet and making a quick starter be ok? or do i need to start over?

By the time you have added the last rice addition you should know if it is working by the smell. I don't use an airlock and just use a jar lid with cloth as a seal to allow the pressure to releas but not easily allow the O2 in. So smell is how I know the yeast is working. It will wreak of vanilla or fruity aromas depending on your yeast and rice with an overwhelming amount if alcohol hot smell too by that step. If the yeast is dead this will smell more sour. Lactobacillus will settle in by that point with no yeast activity. Doing a 2 liter starter should get that batch going but the water/rice/koji balance will be way off. This may end up a bit thin and watery when finished but should be good if the lactobacillus has not added too much lactic acid to the sake. Next time use your nose and smell the alcohol. If you do not smell it by your 2nd rice addition and there are no bubbles in the goop then use a dry yeast and just rehydrate it with a portion of the water for your next step so the water/rice/koji balance stays the same.

Then it is fermenting if it is boozy smelling. Trust the yeast and mold to do their thing. After a certain point it does look less impressive on the activity but the smell never lies. Once you are through all the stages and the long cold portion of the fermentation it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back