First Saison (BE-134) did I screw it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVCNick

Reaction score
I pitched one pack 9 days ago at about 70 degrees and have keep it at normal ale temps (64-68 in my swamp cooler depending on the time of day). Everything about the fermentation so far has looked normal; standard amount of krausen and it was bubbling away, and was slowing down considerably the last couple days. Again, everything looked "normal" to me.

So I was googling around for some other info on this yeast just a few minutes ago, and see that a "normal" temp for this yeast and other Saisons can be in the 80's or as high as 90+? Doh.
Somehow I completely missed that.

Should I heat it up that hot now? Is this beer going to be bland or otherwise nasty? Per the Safale specs, I was right at the borderline minimum temp that they specify.

Last edited:
Is that swamp cooler temps or beer temp? If the former, the actual beer probably rose a bit higher. I agree, take a gravity reading. If it stalled, warm it up, and you won't know the flavor until you taste it.

It is beer temp as measured with a probe in a thermowell.
I don't have any reason to believe the fermentation is not going well in terms of getting to a desirable FG, was just really surprised when I read most people ferment these in the 80s or even higher. Wondering if that was mandatory.

for now I've moved out of the cooler so it will be creeping up a bit but I can put heater on it if needed. I assume it would be too late to save the flavor if that is what you're getting out of the higher-temperature though?

So, I ramped to to 80 for a few days, then 85 for a few days and kegged it Saturday. I didn't note any increase in airlock activity from ramping up the temp. Measured 1.002 so I don't think attenuation was an issue; calculator says over 96%. The sample tasted a little bland, but I find it hard to tell all that much from a pre-carbed warm sample so I guess we'll see after it carbs up for a few days.

You will still find many brewers that unfortunately ferment everything at 60F, no matter if American IPA, Belgian, Hefe, etc. So you haven't done anything wrong. A bit of research might have revealed that Saisons - to get a bit of that character you are searching for - need to be fermented warm. But at the same time, you will find so many threads with brewers that ferment under 68F for the fear of ... esters*. Which is counterproductive, as specific beer styles rely on ester and phenol production from the yeast.

BE-134 is different than say Belle Saison, but not by much, and no near as complex as Dupont, De Blaugies, etc.

Tapped it yesterday.
It tastes pretty good. Still cloudy, I'm guessing it will clear up a bit in a few more days.

I would be interested to see the difference if the same batch had been fermented hot, but this one is very drinkable as is.

Back