First runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atoledo

Reaction score
So I am attempting a new brew for me. I’m interested in any feedback as this will be a first of this style after much research. I’m also going to make a second beer from the second runnings as long as the first runnings will be sufficient for the desired boil volume. I’m going to attempt two separate mashes with one being the larger of the two in more normal mash tun and the second being much smaller. After the first runnings is removed from the first mash, I’ll add the smaller mashed malt to the first and then sparge out for second runnings for the second beer, most likely a bitter. Here is the recipe:

Pale two row 20lbs
Crystal 40L 1lbs
Vienna 1Lbs

Hops:
Cascade 2oz 60 min
Simcoe 1oz 45 min
Cascade 1oz 5 min

Mash at 151 for 60 or until conversion.

And then for the second mash I will be mashing 3LBs of two row for the same duration as the main mash and then add it to the main mash tun after the first runnings for the Barleywine.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's a "homebrewers" partigyle but it will work. It's just a matter of calculating your volumes. Let us know how it turns out.

That’s pretty much what it stems from. Although I don’t plan on combining any of the runnings so we will see how that works. I’ll be brewing it tomorrow so I will post the results.

Back