First recipe. Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I've decided to try and brew a white ipa after trying Boulevard's Reboot. A apparently Reboot is from their "Smokestack series" and was originally based on a collaboration brew from back in 2011.

The folks at Boulevard gave me the grain bill a well as some other useful information about the beer, the rest of the information Iike the hop schedule was based on a clone recipe for the original collaboration from Boulevard.

This will be my first attempt at putting together my own recipe so I am a little nervous. Usually I brew step by step using other people's recipes on beersmith.

With that said would someone like to take a look at the recipe and let me know if I'm overlooking anything obvious that would make this beer not work out.

Here is the link to the beersmith recipe.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/517890/boulevard-reboot-white-ipa-wannabe

Looks solid to me. I've never had Reboot but as long as you like the citrus hops this should be great. Keep us updated on how it turns out, I'd be curious to try this one out.

Finally going to get to brew this up this weekend. I'm excited yet nervous mainly because if it sucks I'll be out a fairly good amount of money compared to what I'm used to spending on 5 gallon batches of beer. Buying hops by the oz. probably wasn't the best way to go about it but it's all my lbhs had and I like to keep my business there whenever possible.

The brew day went well. My OG was lower than expected by quite a bit. I was shooting for 1.076 and got 1.054. I think I should have boiled longer and I may have used too much water.

Still looking forward to trying this new brew. This will be my first experience dry hopping. I'm anxious to see what the lemongrass and sage does to the flavor as well.

I dry hopped this batch over the weekend and had a small sample. It was awesome! Still green obviously but I think it's going to turn into someing beautiful in a few weeks.

This is my first time dry hopping. I'm planning on tasting again tomorrow (day 3) so I don't over do it.

I think the general consensus on dry hopping is 3-5 days. Did that sound about right?

Yea I usually pull mine out after 5 days. There really isn't a need to go any longer. I also usually dry hop with 4 ounces so I think you will be just fine waiting 5 days.

Back