First Recipe of My Own...Predictions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think?

• Yum!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bad...

• Drinkable.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • What were you thinking??

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Toss it out, now!

• Total voters

Oyarsa

Reaction score
Took a gamble and threw things together. What do you think?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Half-Way Flat Tamarind IPA
Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Specialty IPA: White IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.056

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.95%
IBU (tinseth): 61.69
SRM (mosher): 6
Mash pH: 0
FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (75%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (25%)

HOPS:
0.79 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 33.19
0.35 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.01
0.5 oz - Lemondrop, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 6, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at °F, IBU: 7.49
0.5 oz - Lemondrop, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 oz - Crystallized Ginger, Time: 10 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
10 oz - Tamarind Pods, Time: 10 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
0.02 oz - Chili Powder, Time: 10 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

I didn't run the numbers, but I think that the spices are going to add their own bitterness which is going to add to the hop bitterness. Spices are used best very sparingly. If you are brewing a spice beer then let the spices shine; if you want hops, let the hops take the stage. Making them compete will be an exciting competition, but will not be a balanced beer.

Let me know how it turns out.

Is there a program that is capable of considering the sugars from the tamarind and ginger and/or the extra bitterness?

Is there a program that is capable of considering the sugars from the tamarind and ginger and/or the extra bitterness?

The tamarind and ginger aren’t adding any significant sugar. Maybe a point or two at most. I would just add these after flameout, when your wort is warm enough to sanitize but below boiling (170-180°). That way you sanitize but don’t boil off the flavor. The chile powder is such a tiny amount I don’t think you’ll taste it.

The tamarind and ginger aren’t adding any significant sugar. Maybe a point or two at most. I would just add these after flameout, when your wort is warm enough to sanitize but below boiling (170-180°). That way you sanitize but don’t boil off the flavor. The chile powder is such a tiny amount I don’t think you’ll taste it.

I figured the chili was too little. It's what I had at the time and figure I'll add some with the dry hop. Any suggestion how much?

I will admit I was scanning the recipe thinking that it looks pretty solid...then I hit the OTHER INGREDIENTS section. I have zero clue what Tamarind is, but Ginger and Chili Powder? Hope it works out for ya.

Tamarind is a sour and sweet fruit that I'm slightly obsessed with. There is a candy that is tamarind, chili, and salt that I really like. I figured the tamarind and chili might work well with ginger adding a bit of it's own spice. If I regret anything, it will probably be the ginger. I probably should have stuck with the tamarind only for a first go round...

I don't like beers with lots of spice type flavors that are dominant, so this is a somewhat biased comment. I don't like any of the autumn/Pumpkin spice beers or the Christmas spiced beers.

Seems to me like you are throwing a lot of 'flavors' in there that will essentially make this a flavored beverage rather than a beer. How many beers have you made? I wonder if you are maybe trying too hard to make a unique beer. Don't necessarily take this as a criticism, I don't know you, your beers, or your experience.

You might want to add some crystal to add a little sweetness to balance out some of the flavors. Neither the Wheat or the Light extract have any crystal. Both probably have a small amount of carapils, but nothing to add malt sweetness.

And that is a lot of IBUs for a spicy/flavored beer, more in the line of a big IPA. I'm not sure that is appropriate for this beer.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I'll have an idea if I need to add sweetness. Currently it will probably just be sour.

I think you're probably right about trying to do too much. This is only my 4th beer to make. I'm hoping I will be able to get a good idea from this attempt on what to modify. At least it's only 3 gallons!

Back