First Recipe Hellllp!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepcdan99

Reaction score
This is a northernbrewer recipe I modified with beersmith. The original recipe called for 1lb of Caramel Pils. for steeping. I substituded for the Honey Malt also for steeping. Thoughts? Should I keep the pils and add the honey malt? Thoughts, comments are much appreciated. I am going for a "Honey Pilsner"

3 lbs 2.4 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 46.32 %
3 lbs 2.4 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 46.32 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.35 % (steeping)
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.1 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
5.00 gal Boston, MA Water
1 Pkgs Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.52 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 39.4 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint

If you want some sweetness, the honey malt is a fine addition to the recipe in place of the carapils. I would also add some honey after primary fermentation is over to add some floral/honey character to the aroma.

Just a general lager suggestion, make sure to do a big starter. Looks like a solid recipe, good luck.

If you want some sweetness, the honey malt is a fine addition to the recipe in place of the carapils. I would also add some honey after primary fermentation is over to add some floral/honey character to the aroma.

Just a general lager suggestion, make sure to do a big starter. Looks like a solid recipe, good luck.

Awesome, thanks for some encouragment. The carapils in the recipe called for 1lb. the 1/2 lb. honey malt should be ok? I hear its pretty sweet.

1/2 lb should be plenty, I've gotten noticeable sweetness with similar amounts.

Cool. Im not sure if I want to start fudging around with the honey yet. Too many threads and suggestions for the addition of honey. IDK maybe I will live dangerously and just do it.

Would you add any aroma hops (5min/dry hop) to a pilsner/lager.

I'm apologize if I ask stupid questions, it my first time with my own/modified recipe.

It depends on what you want. Dry hops are not a common part of the European lager brewing tradition. I like a nice hoppy aroma in my pilsners, so I'd toss an ounce of Saaz in at 5 min. That said, I've read that Pilsner Urquell doesn't add any hops after 25 minutes ( http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue5.3/urquell.html ). If you want to add honey I'd skip a late hop addition to let the aromatics from the honey shine through.

Back