First Recipe Formulation-help from veterans.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic699

Reaction score
This is my first recipe formulation. This is only my second AG batch. I was looking for a nice, light, session drinking, citrusy beer for summer drinking. I don't want a summer shandy tasting beer. I decided to go after the fruity, citrusy taste by using apricot purée in primary and secondary with a little apricot extract to accent at bottling. I was going after kind if a blonde with apricot/citrus flavor. Here is what I came up with after 4 days of research on recipe formulation. As a side note, this is my first time using Carafoam. I did an extract batch similar to this and wanted more head. I am afraid this will give too much body for the lightness I'm looking for. Please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks for looking.

Pale 2-row 8lbs 2oz 89.3%
Crystal 10L 8.9oz 5.5%
Carafoam 8.2oz. 5.1%
Amarillo .5oz 60 min
Amarillo .5oz 15 min
Irish moss 10 min
SafAle 04 yeast

apricot purée into primary for 7 days
Apricot purée into secondary for 7 days.
Bottle carbonation w/ 2 prime dose tabs, 1/2 tsp apricot extract for 14 days.

Est OG: 1.052
Est FG: 1.010
Est ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 27.2
Color: 4.4 SRM

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you are worried about too much mouthfeel or head retention properties, just halve the amount of carafoam you will be using. I personally use a combo of flaked barley and carapils, but I've never found a beer to be too thick because of it.

That said, I think you could cut back slightly on the crystal if you want the apricot to shine through more. It does seem to be a bit apricot heavy, but you don't list any amounts that you'll use except for the extract.

At worst, it will be an excellent session apricot pale. Not bad!

I think it looks fine! I agree with grahamfw -- may be a bit too much apricot. I'd ferment it at low temps (around 64*F) with the S04 to control the esters produced at higher temps. I think I would add the puree only to secondary. Prior to bottling, taste a sample and see how strong the fruit flavor is. Fruit extracts can be potent, and depending on how much puree you're using, you may be good with just the secondary addition. Nice job!

Latest posts

Back