first PM looking for opinions on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeddemon190

Reaction score
ok so this is the first recipe that i ever created/tweaked myself, and will be my first partial mash attempt after roughly 8-10 extract brews. Ive read alot about the partial mash process. What im looking for is some advice from the pro's on this site as to how this recipe will turn out taste wise.

Im shooting for a porter with subtle hints of chocolate, raspberry and vanilla flavors. I really want my fiance to enjoy this beer so I need to make sure that there is little to NO bitterness to it. she does not like the bitter coffee flavor or strong hop bittnerness.
Here is what i have so far.

3.3 lbs light LME
5 lbs 2-row
.75-1lb chocolate malt
2oz roasted barley
1oz black patent (i know this is kinda harsh bittering wise)
.33lb crystal 60L

1oz Northern brewer 60min

secondary with 2 vanilla beans and 6lbs raspberries

Ive heard that raspberry flavor has a harder time coming through, thats the reason for 6lbs. If someone can verify that it would greatly help.

and Should i stick with 1lb of chocolate malt or will 3/4lb due for the flavor profile im looking for?

And thoughts on taking the black patent out of the recipe all together??

Thanks for any help you guys/gals can provide.

Interesting that you want to brew a porter for someone who doesn't like the bitter coffee flavor. You might want to consider using some dehusked carafa (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/de-husked-carafar-i-weyermannr.html) in place of some of your roasted malts to help take the roasty bite out of the beer.

yeah i try to adapt almost all of my beers to someone suit the fiance. It makes the hobby that much more enjoyable when I know she is enjoying it as well. EXCEPT for the irish reds that i brew.....she doesnt like it....tough luck... those are my favorite.

Ill check out the de-husked carafa. Im still learning how each grain affects the taste.

Irish reds are among my favorites too. I don't have any experience with the dehusked carafa, but supposedly it will provide for a more smooth roasted flavor instead of the more astringent bitter roasted flavors you'll expect from black patent or roasted barley. Maybe do a search for beers that were brewed with it and see what their grain bill looked like?

Back