First partial mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.Freeman

Reaction score
I am going to try my hand at my first partial mash recipe soon but want to make sure I understand the recipe’s directions correctly first. The recipe comes from the Briess website, it is the “Sunset” dark lager.

The ingredients are:
6.6 lb Amber LME
2 lb caramel 40L
2 oz Chocolate malt

The directions read:

Perform mini mash with 4 gallons of water and grains

Steep at 152-158F for 30 min

Add extract/boil/add hops/ etc etc ect

My question is: do I perform the mini mash with the caramel malt, pull that out (Biab style) then steep the chocolate for another 30 min at 152-158 or is it saying to “steep” the caramel and chocolate together for 30 minutes and that is the mini mash process?

I’ve made several batches from brewers best kits with steeping specialty grains but they never had this much grain involved.

Anyone have a guess at what the OG will come out at with this recipe, those details are missing. Not too important, it will be whatever it is.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

do I perform the mini mash with the caramel malt, pull that out (Biab style) then steep the chocolate for another 30 min at 152-158 or is it saying to “steep” the caramel and chocolate together for 30 minutes and that is the mini mash process?

You would want to steep them together. It would just be a waste of time to do them separately.

Anyone have a guess at what the OG will come out at with this recipe, those details are missing. Not too important, it will be whatever it is.

What batch size are you aiming for? If you top it off to 5 gallons I get around 1.060.

Thanks. So everything together for 30 minutes at 155ish should do the trick??

Just to clarify that's not a mini mash despite what the directions say. There are no grains with diastatic power there so there is no conversion going on, it's just a straight extract with steeping grains recipe. You would never want to mash with that much water (i.e. 8 qts/lb according to those directions). So as above, 30 min steep then you're good to go!

Latest posts

Back