First Pale Ale Recipe concocted by me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutman35

Reaction score
So a couple months ago I went to our local co-op which stocks a limited number of ingredients to formulate a recipe based on what they had available (I do this every now and then but have always stuck with brown ales). Based on what they had, I put together a pale ale based on what they had. Their yeast selection was minimal, so I ordered some US-05 online. I finally got to bottling just 9 days ago, and couldn't wait any longer to try. At room temperature and only 9 days I have to say it's really, really good. My best concoction yet. I give you Phat Alfie's Some Kind of Pale Ale.

Phat Alfie’s Some Kind of Pale Ale

3 1/3 lb Briess Golden Malt LME
3 lb Breiss Golden Light DME
1 lb Breiss Pilsen Light DME
1 lb crisp crystal malt 60L
3 oz Cascade hops
1 oz Citra hops
1 oz Amarillo hops
2 packets Safale US-05

Draw 2 ½ gallons water. Add ½ crushed Campden tablet.
Raise temp to 155 deg and steep Crystal malt for 15 minutes
Remove grain bag
Bring to boil
Add 3 1/3 lb LME and 3 Lb Golden light DME
Add 1 oz cascades – 60 minutes
Add 1 oz citra – 15 minutes
Add 1 oz Amarillo - 5 minutes
At end of boil add 1 lb Pilsen Light DME
Cool, top off to 5 gallons and and pitch yeast

After brew day
Racked to secondary after 2 1/2 weeks
Dry hopped with 1 oz cascades

Let sit 12 days
Add 1 oz Cascades dry hop
Bottled 10 days later.

Pretty proud of this one. Would definitely brew again. Costs at our co-op are significantly less than online, and I had reservations using BSG ingredients. Most of the brews I put together from there I've used the yeast they had on hand and have never been overwhelmed by my results. Glad I ordered up the US-05. Man I love this endeavor!

Phat Alfie's Some Kind of Pale Ale.jpg

Phat Alfies Pale Ale Ingredients.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a good recipe. :mug:
I just have one question though. Why do you steep the crystal malt for just 15 minutes? I haven't done an extract with grains brew in a very long time but from what I remember, I always steeped the crushed grains for one our before removing them. Was I wasting my time???
It would be a time saver to only have to step them for 15 minutes.

I would guess you would reach a point of diminishing returns at some point. I've never steeped more than 20 minutes mostly out of convention based on other recipes.

I'd love to hear from somebody else on their steeping times and reasoning. Is it worth steeping for a full sixty minutes?

I have always read/heard 30 minutes for steeping grains, so that's what I have always done in the past.

I would guess you would reach a point of diminishing returns at some point. I've never steeped more than 20 minutes mostly out of convention based on other recipes.

I'd love to hear from somebody else on their steeping times and reasoning. Is it worth steeping for a full sixty minutes?

When i was doing extracts, I'd steep for 30 min because I read it in how to brew. That should be enough reasoning lol

Latest posts

Back