First Non-kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh990311

Reaction score
I'm making an apple pie wine and my brew shop guy set me up with everything I need. I'm using apple juice and I've added all the correct additives pre-yeast. He said let that sit for a day or 2 to let it " gas out"before adding the yeast. How long can I let this sit in the primary once I've added the yeast? Usually with the kits I've done, I've let them sit for a month or two then transfer to secondary. Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Sorry here's the recipe for 1 gal but I did a 5 gal batch so obviously did 5 times everything:
2 qts apple juice
4.5 Pts water
2 lbs sugar
2 1/4 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 Camden tablet crushed
Red star cote des Blancs yeast
And potassium sorbate
So I'm at the stage of no yeast yet. The book I'm using seems to be in every brew shop, purple book winemakers recipe handbook. The directions were to immediately add the Camden tabs and pectic enzyme to the juice, then just add everything else except the yeast and potassium sorbate. Add the yeast after 24 hrs. Thanks for any help

Sorry here's the recipe for 1 gal but I did a 5 gal batch so obviously did 5 times everything:
2 qts apple juice
4.5 Pts water
2 lbs sugar
2 1/4 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 Camden tablet crushed
Red star cote des Blancs yeast
And potassium sorbate
So I'm at the stage of no yeast yet. The book I'm using seems to be in every brew shop, purple book winemakers recipe handbook. The directions were to immediately add the Camden tabs and pectic enzyme to the juice, then just add everything else except the yeast and potassium sorbate. Add the yeast after 24 hrs. Thanks for any help

Yes, add the yeast after 24 hours. Keep it in primary 5-7 days or so, then rack to a carboy with little headspace.

Hold the sorbate until a few days before bottling- months from now!

Just an update, I pitched the yeast on 7-28 and did a gravity check today. I was at 1.050 which I was glad to see due to previous readings being 1.110. This reassures me I must be doing something right. The other benefit of Gravity check is sampling!! The stuff is potent!! I will transfer to a 5 gallon carboy once I hit 1.040 unless you all think I'm good to transfer now. Also, I know this is still only a week or so in but will this clear more and if not is there anything i can do to clear it? Thanks!!

Back