First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacschmidt

Reaction score
Sat night I started my first mead a 2 gallon batch.

6 lb clover honey
1.75 gallons water
Lalvin E-1118 yeast
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1/8 tsp Potassium Metabisulfate

I attempting to make this as a gift to some friends that are getting married at the end of the year as a wedding present. I want to make this a vanilla mead once all is said and done. Gonna wait till seconded to add that, however I want to make my own extract by soaking the beans in vodka till they are needed in a few months. But my question is how much extract will I need for a good strong vanilla note? Hope you all can help.

Zac

How to make real vanilla extract in time for the holidays | Chef and Steward

^^that person advocates rum with your vanilla beans, and a two-month minimum soak fyi.

Since you're making it yourself it's not a standard concentration of vanilla, and thus the best answer would probably be to toss in half a teaspoon of your extract, shake hard, pour out half a shot and taste. If it needs more, put more in. Remember two gallons is going to be 8-10 wine bottles' worth, so you're not gonna lose a ton doing it a tiny taster shot at a time.

Back