First Mead (Cyser) and a couple of questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Hey all, planning on starting my first mead, a simple spiced cyser, next week and had a few quick questions, but I'll start with the recipie:

3.5 gal apple juice
.5gal water
4.5lbs clover honey
2 cinnamen sticks
1 vanilla bean
4 cloves
Yeast nutrient
Yeast energizer
Nottingham ale yeast cake

1)I calculated the OG to being roughly 1.0894(1.050 from the apple juice I use + .0394 from 4.5lbs of honey in 4gal of liquid with it having a pppg of 35.) How would I calculate the dilution of liquid with .5 gallon of water.

2) I'm planning on using the yeast cake from my last batch of cider. I'm not plannng on having too high a gravity so I feel like the Nottingham should be able to handle it (can reach 11-12 without staggered feeds from what I have read) would this be okay for not imparting any real flavour of its own?

3) when should I add the spices? Most recipes I see have them in primary while others in secondary. I am thinking in secondary so the aromatics of them don't blow off during primary fermentation.

Latest posts

Back