First look at fermenting yeast..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've popped the lid on my very first brew today to add in the candy sugar it wanted.

It's in its second day.

Not too sure what I make of the image I saw lol, does it look alright to everyone else?

It's Mangrove Jack's Belgium Ale Yeast that was used.

20200502_132920.jpg

Thanks!

Ah if that's what its meant to look like, great!
My first time so really not sure what to expect.. Airlock wasn't bubbling at all, but since I stuck in the candy sugar it's been going strong, but looking at the picture, I guess it must have been active over the last 40 hours afterall.. Yippe :)

Hi, based on the above image ...would love some further advice...

I have been brewing this Belgium Ale, its been sitting in the fermenter for 6 days now.
OG was on target at 1.065 with a final target of 1.010
Airlock bubbling stopped quite fast - probably around the 4th day, so I did a check and the gravity was sitting at 1.020.
When I checked the gravity again this morning (day 6), it was at 1.036

Was my first reading just completely wrong, or has the fermentation only just really begun perhaps - I added candy sugar on Day 2..?
I thought after a while it was meant to be getting lower and lower...

Or am I just being impatient and I should ignore this and come back next week!

Thanks

I have been brewing this Belgium Ale, its been sitting in the fermenter for 6 days now.
OG was on target at 1.065 with a final target of 1.010
Airlock bubbling stopped quite fast - probably around the 4th day, so I did a check and the gravity was sitting at 1.020.
When I checked the gravity again this morning (day 6), it was at 1.036

Was my first reading just completely wrong, or has the fermentation only just really begun perhaps - I added candy sugar on Day 2..?
I thought after a while it was meant to be getting lower and lower...

Just to make sure of the timeline...
Day 2: added sugar
Day 4: 1.020
Day 6: 1.036

Gravity can't increase, unless more sugar is added (or unless lots of water evaporates, which doesn't happen with a normal fermenter). You added sugar on day 2, but I find it hard (impossible really) to believe that it hadn't mixed thoroughly, in an active, churning fermentation, by day 4.

So either the day 4 or the day 6 reading was in error.

Or am I just being impatient and I should ignore this and come back next week!

That's what I would do.

If it was mine, I would quit opening the fermenter. Wait and check gravity when you're pretty sure it's finished. If bottling, check again 2 - 3 days later. If gravity is stable, bottle. If kegging, one gravity sample is enough.

Back