First Lager Today: So Far So Good . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So far, so good . . . like the man said when he fell off the Empire State Building.

Jamil's Oktoberfest from BCS: Munich Madness
5# Pils
4# Munich
3# Vienna
1# Caramunich
Hallertauer to IBU 25 at 90 min (2oz x 3%)
Hallertauer 0.5 oz at 20 min
WLP 830 German Lager Yeast

I mashed high at 155

Chilled to 47-48, pitched a 3.5 liter starter, and it's fermenting at 50 degrees.
OG was a little high at 1.062, right at 80%. I count on about 78% so pretty darned close.

I hadn't planned a Diacetyl Rest, but now I'm chickening out and probably will do a short rest as fermentation slows. In about three months, I'll know if I did good or not.

L

I hadn't planned a Diacetyl Rest, but now I'm chickening out and probably will do a short rest as fermentation slows.
I'm curious why you weren't planning on the Diacetyl rest? I'm fixen to start Lagers myself and have come to the understanding that it's always best to do one.
Just wondering... I hadn't thought not to do one.

My reading suggests that if you pitch lots of yeast at or below fermentation temps then a Diacetyl Rest is unnecessary. Alternatively, you could taste for diacetyl. I wonder, but don't know, if the big beer producers (IE BMC) do a rest on their lagers.

BTW krausen and airlock activity at 18hrs. Temp still at about 51. Love those giant starters.

L

Taste it if you're still on the fence for a D-rest. I do it just because I'm hoping to coax out another point or two of fermentation by warming it up.

After chilling, did you rack it off the cold break and trub before you oxygenated it, presuming that you hit it with O2 before pitching?

After 5 or 6 days, consider pulling off a gravity sample. At that time, you can decide if a D rest is needed or not.

Sounds like you've done well. Good luck !

After chilling, did you rack it off the cold break and trub before you oxygenated it, presuming that you hit it with O2 before pitching?

After 5 or 6 days, consider pulling off a gravity sample. At that time, you can decide if a D rest is needed or not.

Sounds like you've done well. Good luck !

I oxygenated it in the brew kettle, then allowed the wort to settle briefly and drained the kettle via the ball valve. Pretty much what I always do for ales, just chilled to a colder temp. I oxygenate with the Williams brewing setup with O2 from the hardware store.

L

I have no intention of starting another thread with this....

OK...that's my disclaimer

There are several schools of thought regarding hot side aeration ( HSA ). Here is a link about oxygenation if you're interested.

http://www.tcbrewmasters.org/articles/5.PDF

I used to to use the hardware O2 with the LHBS valve....it was soooo expensive after awhile. I was fortunate to score a medical O2 tank that can be refilled at my local welding shop. I'm hoping that one tank will last me for several years before needing a refill.

There are so many ways to make beer....congrats on your first lager !

I don't understand the risk of HSA. The wort is cool when I oxygenate it. How wort won't hold the O2 anyway . . .

L

Latest posts

Back