First Lager stalled at 1.025

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon Brooks

Reaction score
Hey guys. So made my first Lager a few weeks ago. it was an Oktoberfest/marzen. OG was around 1.49. After 4 days no yeast activity at 54 degrees. So I stirred with sanitized spoon to oxygenate and upped temp to 58. It began bubbling away and after 10 days stalled at 1.025. I was expecting it to finish around 1.013-14ish. I now know that I should've let the yeast start at a higher temp and then lower it to the 54 after that. I didn't make a starter, just a White Labs pure pitch. usually 1.050 and above I make a starter.

Do I repitch at higher temps with a US-05 or the like to have it finish out, or what do you think? What else should I have done for next time? TIA

I'm thinking you should have done a starter. I pitch mine @53 degrees and the starter the same temp. Then when it's about 3/4 of the way fermenting I go up 4 degrees a day until I hit 66. Let it ride for 3 days at 66 then lower the temp 4 degrees a day until I get high 30's then keg and Lager. I've had good luck with my lagers so far all though I haven't done a whole lot of them. What temp was your yeast when you pitched?

I'm thinking you should have done a starter. I pitch mine @53 degrees and the starter the same temp. Then when it's about 3/4 of the way fermenting I go up 4 degrees a day until I hit 66. Let it ride for 3 days at 66 then lower the temp 4 degrees a day until I get high 30's then keg and Lager. I've had good luck with my lagers so far all though I haven't done a whole lot of them. What temp was your yeast when you pitched?
The yeast had warmed up to room temp. The wort was probably mid 60's when I pitched it but it was immediately put in a fermentation temp to 54. I think a starter wouldn't definitely helped. Like I said, I just use 1.050 as a cut off for starters usually. Maybe its more important in a lager....

It sounds like you didn't pitch enough yeast to me, I always use 2-3 times more yeast for lagers than ales. I have a Oktoberfest that I'm finally tapping this weekend. I pitched 3 packets of Saflager W34/70 Dry Yeast (couldn't find any Oktoberfest yeast) and my FG got down to 1.009. I pitched it at 54° then after 3-4 days I'll slowly brought up the temperature a few degrees a day until I got to 65° for a diacetyl rest.

The yeast had warmed up to room temp. The wort was probably mid 60's when I pitched it but it was immediately put in a fermentation temp to 54. I think a starter wouldn't definitely helped. Like I said, I just use 1.050 as a cut off for starters usually. Maybe its more important in a lager....

And it's WAY more important for a lager. A starter helps ales as well, but with a lager it's pretty much mandatory. Even with a 1.050 OG, White Labs themselves recommend a starter with ale or lager yeast!
upload_2019-9-24_14-32-56.png

And for more from their site on lagers, see: https://whitelabs.com/beer/white-labs-lager-yeast-tips

You're using a hydrometer that reads 1.000 in plain water, correct? And not a refractometer?

How long has it been at 1.025?
I used a refractometer for OG, and then hydrometer for every subsequent check of the Spec grav. It has been at 1.025 for over a week.

And it's WAY more important for a lager. A starter helps ales as well, but with a lager it's pretty much mandatory. Even with a 1.050 OG, White Labs themselves recommend a starter with ale or lager yeast!
View attachment 645555

And for more from their site on lagers, see: https://whitelabs.com/beer/white-labs-lager-yeast-tips

Yes I saw that. OG was 1.048 and since I brewed the moment I got home, I didn't allow time for a starter. I will definitely do that for next time.

It sounds like you didn't pitch enough yeast to me, I always use 2-3 times more yeast for lagers than ales. I have a Oktoberfest that I'm finally tapping this weekend. I pitched 3 packets of Saflager W34/70 Dry Yeast (couldn't find any Oktoberfest yeast) and my FG got down to 1.009. I pitched it at 54° then after 3-4 days I'll slowly brought up the temperature a few degrees a day until I got to 65° for a diacetyl rest.

I will definitely make a starter next time, or add a second pack of yeast. I've had good luck with ales but my first lager may be a dud! Thanks guys!

If your short on time for a starter you can do a shakin not stirred starter . I do it all the time , works like a charm.

At this point, I would warm it up to the mid 60’s and pitch a packet of 34/70.

Next time, you definitely want to do a large starter or pitch several (4-5) fresh packs.

If your short on time for a starter you can do a shakin not stirred starter . I do it all the time , works like a charm.

I googled it. Looks like a viable option for sure. You're putting an airlock on the bottle you use after you finish shaking?

I googled it. Looks like a viable option for sure. You're putting an airlock on the bottle you use after you finish shaking?

No , use a screw cap . Shake the living crap out of it for a few minutes. Leave the cap closed for about 20-30 minutes then crack the cap to allow pressure to release . I just unscrew the cap to where it's just sitting on it.

No , use a screw cap . Shake the living crap out of it for a few minutes. Leave the cap closed for about 20-30 minutes then crack the cap to allow pressure to release . I just unscrew the cap to where it's just sitting on it.
thanks I will give that a try in the future! appreciate the lagering tips guys

out of curiosity, what was the mash temp if all-grain?

(and there's always gluco! :D)

I mashed 152 degrees for 60 min. Checked conversion with TOI and it was good.

*Update- pitch package of dry yeast to see if I could get it lower. 4 days later it finished at 1.020 and same at day 6. Racked to keg ( with airlock) for secondary.

Thats my understanding as well. I was talking about when I was checking my mash to make sure conversion was complete before ending the mash.

That's what i thought you meant? i was just pointing out that, that wouldn't explain a high FG...i don't think?

and once again if you want it to finish lower and it's still in secondary, 6 or so grams of this for a 5 gallon batch will get it to 1.000:

https://brewhaus.com/gluco-amylase-enzyme-amyloglucosidase-2oz/

Last edited:
Back