First Lager Slow Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickymix

Reaction score
My first attempt at a lager is currently fermenting in my mini fridge fermentation chamber. It is the Octoberfest/marzen extract kit from AIH. Everything went well on the brew day, my immersion chiller could only get it so cold though so I sealed up the sanitized fermenter and put it in the fermentation chamber overnight to cool down to 11C to pitch.

The next day I pitched my 2L starter into the wort. The OG was 1.060, higher than recipe called for not sure how that happened. I took a gravity reading 12 days after pitching and it was only at 1.036. Took another sample today and it was 1.031 this is 17 days after pitching.

I'm using WLP820, I've read that this is a slow fermenter but is it this slow? Should I raise my fermentation temperature? Or is this not really even a problem?

Did you use a stirplate, shaking, or a straight starter? How did you oxygenate? How fresh was the yeast? My guess is underpitching or underaeration.

I would raise the temp, see if you can get it to ferment out. 50% attenuation is pretty low.

I don't know how much this would help on a lager but...shake the piss out of the ale pale, sometimes that will wake thhe yeast back up. Also raising the temp a bit is indeed a good idea. Best of luck to you.

Back