First lager recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ittybittykittycommittee

Reaction score
EDIT: I changed the format since I wasn't getting any bites. Hopefully this makes it easier for other people to read and comment on.

Hi all!

This is meant to be my inaugural lager attempt, to be fermented in the empty fridge while I'm gone for a few weeks. Not ideal I know, but hopefully it won't get stuck. This is also my first recipe post to be critiqued.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 2124 Bohemian Lager
Starter: 2-4L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Projected OG: 1.051
IBU: 36.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 47F
Lager (# of Days & Temp): 14-28 @ 30-35F

Mash
9# Weyeremann Bohemian Pilsner malt
1# Cara-pils/dextrine
0.5# Munich malt, 10L

Mash Steps
Mash 152F for 60 min
Sparge 168F for 15 min

Hops
2 oz Saaz 2.9% at 60
2 oz Saaz 2.9% at 30
2 oz Saaz 2.9% at 0
2 oz Saaz 2.9% Dry hop in keg

I was only going to use 4 oz of Saaz, but Farmhouse's is 2.9% and that made it super low IBU. So I bumped it up to 8 oz total to use 2 entire packs. I'm debating moving more up front though to increase the hop characteristic just a bit. What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance! :mug:
Adam

Well I'm thinking I might switch to Sterling (5.7%aa) as follows:

1 oz FWH
1 oz @ 30
1 oz hopstand

I know most people with lager experience are probably sick of these recipe critiques....but any takers?

Do you have a stirplate? You will need to make a starter for a lager, also is your fridge temp controlled or just a regular fridge?
I dont think too many people like to dry hop a Lager usually. I would just do the earlier hop additions personally.
Also consider a 90 minute boil due to the pilsner malt.

I don't have a striplate, but was planning on making at least a 2L starter. My fridge is just a regular fridge, but I'll put in a carboy a few days in advance to get the temps figured out.

I think I will ditch the dryhop, but maybe keep a hopstand or flameout addition.

Thanks for the help!

Back