First Lager.. questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPEtech

Reaction score
I brewed a mini-mash Oktoberfest last week.. I pitched a vial of White Labs Oktoberfest in at 70° and let it sit for about 12 hours until the first signs of fermentation began. I then lowered it down to 51°. Is this an appropriate method? It's been slowly fermenting now for 7 days, with no spikes or craziness.

I've been told 10 different ways to do it.. but I was told without a big starter that I should let it sit at room temp overnight to help get it going.

I've been told 10 different ways to do it.. but I was told without a big starter that I should let it sit at room temp overnight to help get it going.

Yes, that works as you can see. Keeping it warm helps to compensate for not using enough yeast, as yeast reproduces faster at warmer temperatures.

It's not ideal for the best tasting lager, however. Much of the flavor profile comes during the lag phase and early part of fermentation, when esters and other compounds are formed.

Just like when I make an ale, I don't pitch it at 85 degrees and let it start up and then lower the temperature 20 degrees, I don't pitch lagers 20 degrees too warm either. It will get fermentation started, though, so in that sense it "works".

Makes sense.. live and learn I guess. I hope it's not a total loss and it's decent to drink.

Makes sense.. live and learn I guess. I hope it's not a total loss and it's decent to drink.

Oh, it will be very good! It's definitely not a total loss. You may notice a little more fruitiness than you normally would, and you may have to make sure to do a thorough diacetyl rest. I would just make notes, and for the next time make an appropriately sized starter.

I like to make a big starter (or make a small beer first, and use the yeast from that), and then chill the wort to 45 degrees or so. Take yeast out of the fridge and decant the spent wort, and pitch 42 degree yeast into 45 degree wort, and let rise to the desired fermentation temperature (normally 50 degrees or so). That seems to make the "cleanest" lager, and fermentation is active from the gate. The beer is about done by day 7, and that's when I raise the temperature for a diacetyl rest if I"m doing one.

There are many ways to make a lager, so you'll find that other brewers will do it differently. The key to a good lager is temperature control and healthy yeast, and you can do that in a variety of ways. I just know what works best for me.

I will definitely make a starter next batch.. When will I know to start my diacetyl rest?

Oh, it will be very good! It's definitely not a total loss. You may notice a little more fruitiness than you normally would, and you may have to make sure to do a thorough diacetyl rest. I would just make notes, and for the next time make an appropriately sized starter.

I like to make a big starter (or make a small beer first, and use the yeast from that), and then chill the wort to 45 degrees or so. Take yeast out of the fridge and decant the spent wort, and pitch 42 degree yeast into 45 degree wort, and let rise to the desired fermentation temperature (normally 50 degrees or so). That seems to make the "cleanest" lager, and fermentation is active from the gate. The beer is about done by day 7, and that's when I raise the temperature for a diacetyl rest if I"m doing one.

There are many ways to make a lager, so you'll find that other brewers will do it differently. The key to a good lager is temperature control and healthy yeast, and you can do that in a variety of ways. I just know what works best for me.

HPEtech said:
I will definitely make a starter next batch.. When will I know to start my diacetyl rest?

You may not need one. If you are getting a buttery taste or a "slick" mouthfeel, that is diacetyl. If you have more fermenting to go (say OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.010, start the d-rest at 1.020-1.015. Roughly 75-80% of the way through fermentation.

Back