First lager made a few mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trobocco

Reaction score
Mainly I did not make a starter. Used all grain method, chilled to 63. Dumped salfager yeast in and it's sitting in my garage 50-55 degrees. Am I going to have any trouble with fermentation starting?

I used one package of salfager 23 at 63 degrees. From there the temp slowly dropped to 50-55. I just left it in my garage which is that temp. Will move to my fridge controlled at 50 soon.

Probably more esters than you will like, but it should make good drinkable beer.

Next time try rehydrating two packets. Chill to 47-48 and pitch your yeast. Letting the wort temperature come UP to say 50 or 51 will get the yeast up and running faster than the other way around. Plus you want them cold when they are building up their numbers in the first 24 hours.

Bubbling started today, so all appears fine. I guess I'll see if there are any strange flavors. You live you learn I guess.

I have it in the fridge but the bubbling stopped. It's at 45 degrees. Is there a problem?

Make sure to do a diacetyl rest for a couple days near the end. This will clean up some off flavors produced by pitching warm.

Ok so it's been about a week and I have no activity in the airlock. I moved the fermenter into my fridge at 45 degrees for about 5 days. I than moved it to my garage where there is still no activity in the airlock at 52 degrees. What should I do?

Hmm... You can try raising the temperature a bit more (like 60 degrees). You may need to pitch more yeast. If you do that, make a 2 liter starter and pitch when it's at high krausen.

Ok so it's been about a week and I have no activity in the airlock. I moved the fermenter into my fridge at 45 degrees for about 5 days. I than moved it to my garage where there is still no activity in the airlock at 52 degrees. What should I do?
You could bump it up to the mid 60s to finish it off.
Did you take a gravity reading? Bubbles don't mean much. I had one I had done with WL830 and had made a starter. It never really bubbled much but it did finish to target.

Back