First Lager- Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paloaf

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed my first lager on 6/28/13 and checked my gravity on 7/21/13. I brewed an Oktoberfest with an OG of 1.055 and I was hoping to get it down to 1.015-1.016. When I checked the gravity, the hydrometer first read 1.015 and then after 15 seconds or so the sample had created enough C02 bubbling to the top that the hydrometer would rise. Should I be concerned that my FG reading is off? I used WLP820 (three vials with three stepped starters) for my 10 gallon batch.

I plan on crash cooling my fermenters soon and then transferring to kegs to lager until I serve it at a wedding at the end of September. Should I leave them at fermentation temp for another week or two to clear things up? The samples tasted great; I'm not concerned about DMS. Before pitching the yeast I racked the wort off the cold break and pitched at 44 F and then have fermented at 50 F.

I think you're fine. The 1.015 is probably your FG you just need to spin the hydrometer to get the proper reading. This would knock the CO2 bubbles off the hydrometer giving you the proper reading.

As for the leaving it or transferring. I would just keg it. It will clear in either primary/secondary or the keg.

Pass the sample back and forth between a couple of glasses to de-gas, then take the reading.

Thanks for the advice. Took a second reading today and decarbonated the sample and the gravity was a solid 1.015.

Latest posts

Back