First Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on making a kolsch for my next beer and haven't made one before. If folks could help guide me a bit, it would be much appreciated.

For starters, I have a bunch of 2-row and so I'm hoping to make this the base grain. I figured I may add a bit of Munich to it as well. Does this sound good, or is it necessary to use Pilsner and/or something else?

As for hops, I figure something like Saaz would be best but am open to other possiblities.

As for fermenting, my plan is to use wlp 029 and ferment for two weeks or so at around 63. I was going to raise it gradually up to 68ish the last four or five days of fermentation. The plan then is to keg it and leave it in the fridge for 3 weeks as a kind of lager/ cold crash while I'm on holiday. Does this sound good?

Your process and yeast sound good.

You could potentially get away with 2-row on this, but pilsner would really be better. Munich, Vienna, and/or Carahell would be good specialty grain additions. Just keep them to 7% or less of the grainbill.

Saaz Hops would also work, but Hallertauer Mittelfruh, Hersbrucker, Hallertauer Tradition, or Tettnang would be slightly more traditional. Just keep Hop flavor and aroma relatively low.

I have evolved my kolsch recipe from ed wort’s, if you like more bitterness i like using magnum and then use an aroma hop, the hop suggestions are all good though

IMG_3103.jpg

I would save the two row for a pale or ipa. Pilsner would be good but you could also try kolsch malt

I plan on making a kolsch for my next beer and haven't made one before. If folks could help guide me a bit, it would be much appreciated.

I brewed one a couple months ago based loosely on this recipe. Not a Konvention Kolsch, but came out fantastic! Thank you, "Ed Wort" @ Bee Cave Brewery.

BEE CAVE BREWERY KOLSCH

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WL029
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 36
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 2 SRM
Primary Ferm -- 10 Days @ 68F
Secondary Ferm -- Cold-crash @ 39F 4 days, keg/bottle

7# 2-row Pils Malt
2.5# Wheat Malt

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 151F.

Boil 90 minutes (to reduce DMS from the Pils malt).

1 oz Perle (7.8% AA) @ 60 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger (4.4% AA) @ 15 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger (4.4% AA) @ 5 min.

WLP029 with a starter.

A true Kolsch of course is brewed only in Cologne, Germany under strict ("konvention") guidelines. I'm sure mine doesn't taste like the real thing, but it is a great beer! For what it's worth, the wheat addition smooths out the normally crisper and dryer nature of a true Kolsch. Also with my brew, there is for some reason I can't explain, a noticeable, albeit faint and totally unintentional, essence of clover honey. And there is no actual honey in it.

For starters, I have a bunch of 2-row and so I'm hoping to make this the base grain. I figured I may add a bit of Munich to it as well. Does this sound good, or is it necessary to use Pilsner and/or something else?

Kolsch is a delicate beer style and if you actually want it to taste like a "real" Kolsch do yourself a favor and use German malt. Pilsner malt is just fine and the Kolsch malt mentioned above is excellent if you can source it.

Saaz hops are OK but they aren't German. I'd opt for a German noble variety like Hallertau, Tettnanger, or Spalt (my favorite). American hops with German DNA like Mt Hood and Liberty also work well.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will probably just make a pale ale with the two row and wait a bit until I can buy that kolsch malt. I didn't feel too confident trying a kolsch with two row and you folks confirmed that it's probably not a good idea,

I made a few using Jamil's recipe from BYO. Used a German Pils and Hallertau. Very simple recipe and it went over pretty well.

I've used a couple of different, what I call, kolsch style recipes. These include a Pilsner with wheat recipe. Also a pilsner with Munich recipe that turned out very well. Both were fermented with 34/70, as I have limited access to liquid yeast locally. I've used Saaz, Tettanger, Spalt, and Hallertau. I like Saaz, so those beers were great.
The current kolsch style I have on tap is a Pilsner, Vienna, and 2 row blend with Liberty, Saaz, and 34/70 yeast.
Again, I refer to these as kolsch style as they may not fit the traditional profile, but as long as the beer is good, then who cares.
If you prefer a straight traditional recipe, that's great too. Bottom line, brew beer and have fun.

I've used a couple of different, what I call, kolsch style recipes. These include a Pilsner with wheat recipe. Also a pilsner with Munich recipe that turned out very well. Both were fermented with 34/70, as I have limited access to liquid yeast locally. I've used Saaz, Tettanger, Spalt, and Hallertau. I like Saaz, so those beers were great.
The current kolsch style I have on tap is a Pilsner, Vienna, and 2 row blend with Liberty, Saaz, and 34/70 yeast.
Again, I refer to these as kolsch style as they may not fit the traditional profile, but as long as the beer is good, then who cares.
If you prefer a straight traditional recipe, that's great too. Bottom line, brew beer and have fun.

I was lucky to discover saaz early in my brewing years, great hop

Is brewing a Kolsch with Pilsner more traditional? Sure. But if I'm sitting on a bag of base pale, or 2 row, or whatever is not Pilsner and I want to brew a Kolsch style beer I brew a Kolsch style beer. Call it a cream ale. I also used Liberty, hallertauer, and Saaz in my last Kolsch. I'm willing to bet if you brewed the exact same beer, substituting pilsner and your typical 2 row base malt most people wouldn't be able to pick up on the difference. Sounds like a Brulosophy xbmt to me!

Back