First Kolsch, temperature advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing the lager process in the keg as discussed turned out really well. Basically this means making a Kolsch is the same process as making any beer. The only difference is I fermented at 60 degrees. It’s not crystal clear, which might be because it is the Wyeast yeast, but I gotta say, may be my best one yet, and I like that this makes it so making a Kolsch is no more difficult than any other beer.
View attachment 691533

Nice looking beer ! Looks cold and refreshing :bigmug:

K97 turned out good . I'll try that imperial since I really like their stuff . Does that Imperial Dieter need a starter ?

I always make a starter, but Imperial claims 200 billion cells per pack, which is plenty enough for a low gravity Kolsch.
Finishing the lager process in the keg as discussed turned out really well. Basically this means making a Kolsch is the same process as making any beer. The only difference is I fermented at 60 degrees. It’s not crystal clear, which might be because it is the Wyeast yeast, but I gotta say, may be my best one yet, and I like that this makes it so making a Kolsch is no more difficult than any other beer.
View attachment 691533
Looking good!

(If I'm being honest, I don't even lager my Kolsch. It went into the keg on day 14, and I was drinking it a week later. I've never had luck with Gelatin, but I use Biofine. The last Kolsch I made I didn't use any fining agent and it was crystal clear after 2 weeks in the keg. I always mean to bottle a few to see if it improves over time, but it's crushable within 3 weeks of brew day. It just keeps getting better until the keg kicks o_O.)

I always make a starter, but Imperial claims 200 billion cells per pack, which is plenty enough for a low gravity Kolsch.

Looking good!

(If I'm being honest, I don't even lager my Kolsch. It went into the keg on day 14, and I was drinking it a week later. I've never had luck with Gelatin, but I use Biofine. The last Kolsch I made I didn't use any fining agent and it was crystal clear after 2 weeks in the keg. I always mean to bottle a few to see if it improves over time, but it's crushable within 3 weeks of brew day. It just keeps getting better until the keg kicks o_O.)
I can see that. I’m at about 4 1/2 weeks and it is great.

Latest posts

Back