First kit batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieMc

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. I’m looking at getting some equipment, but I’m not sure about sizing on carboy, bucket, brew pot, etc. I am hesitant to make 5 gallon batches until I know that I am able to make acceptable tasting beer. I don’t want to be stuck with 5 gallons of garbage. Logically, I think to small batch brewing, then when I know it’s decent, scale up. I also live in an apartment (not small but still an apartment) so I want to be careful of how much space I take up.

So my questions:
a) Go with a small batch kit and then graduate to 5 gallon or just go 5 gallon?
b) If I go 5 gallon equipment right away, is it okay to make small batches or should I just go 5 gallon batches and risk losing more if I mess up?

Thanks!

Hey JulieMc, welcome to the forum and hobby of making beer ! My advice to you is to start with extract kits . They are basic and simple as you have everything you need in a kit. Most people start off with extract kits . I started on Brewersbest kits and made good beer. The only thing I will say about the directions they give you is dont follow transferring to a secondary . It's not needed and could cause potential harm. As for the size of brew you do that's just up to you. I do think Brewersbest have 1 gallon kits as well as 5 gallons. How much beer would you drink ? Do you plan on sharing the beer with others?. There are starter kits from places like morebeer for a decent price that gives you everything you need to get going including a pale ale kit . I went to 5 gallon off the get . If you go 5 gallon those starter kits come with a 7 gallon fermenter . I've done 5 gallon brews in a 5 gallon carboy and found out the hard way you need a blow off because I had to small of headspace. Good luck and have fun .

I hear you on starting out small. You get more variety and build experience with each batch you brew.

You can ferment in pretty much any container, such as (small) plastic food grade buckets with a lid, large plastic pretzel or Utz cheeseballs containers, 3-4 gallon size icing buckets your local bakery may have. Drill a 1/2" (?) hole in the lid (use a "step bit") for a rubber grommet to hold an airlock in it. Good for 2-3 gallon batches.

Smaller?
I have a whole bunch of 1 gallon plastic containers (from mayonnaise). Handy for all kinds of stuff, I sometimes use a few for small 3/4 gallon experimental batches, such as testing new or different hops, but the yield is really minimal, too small for beer, IMO. I find 1.5 or rather 2 gallons to be the smallest useful batch size for beer.

You can buy kits (usually pricey) or loose ingredients from a homebrew supply store. Water, malt extract, hops and yeast is all you need for brewing (extract based) beer. Or do small all-grain batches.

To get an idea of what's involved: HowToBrew.
Once you decide brewing is for you, and want to know more about the process I can recommend the newest, recently updated 4th edition of that book.

And reading our awesome forum!

I started with small batch kits, specifically Mr. Beer. About as simple as it gets, inexpensive, not much time involved, and the pleasing results (after only a few brews) led me to 5-gallon extract kits and then upgrading my equipment to include kegging. Later, you can use the Mr. Beer fermenter(s) to make small test batches from your customized recipes before you increase the batch size.

The hobby is addictive as you will always want to keep upgrading and improving the process as the results continue to make you happy, as long as you don't run out of delicious and satisfying homebrew. [emoji481]

7.9 gallon plastic fermenting bucket(s). No blow-off tube required this way.
5 gallon brew pot. This helps guard against boil overs.
If you make gallon batches in gallon carboys, I'd shoot for 3/4 gallon batches.

Going the small-batch route sounds fun though. Small or large, if you have missing info on process, it will be revealed. Really, I wouldn't worry too much about making an undrinkable batch. Following the kit instructions (minus the secondary) will get you a good beer.

Hi and welcome. I started with a one gal kit from Austin Home Brew Supply and one gal extract recipe kits from Craft a Brew. An advantage was being able to use a kettle I already had and my kitchen stovetop while I got comfortable with the process. Based on my beer consumption habits I knew I would never go to 5G but I did make the switch to 2/2.5G all grain. I still do 1G batches though to experiment with new things and/or because I just like to stick with smaller batch sizes. I think that even if you start with 1G and switch to 5G later, you still may use the small batch equipment sometimes.

Welcome to the obsession! Starting with one gallon batches is a very good idea to get your feet wet (IMHO). Many starter kits are available online.
If you do end up going to five gallon batches you can use your one gallon equipment for experimental batches.
As stated above either buy or download Palmer's book "How to Brew". Great learning tool and will be used as a reference down the road.
Right now Northern Brewer has a one gallon starter kit on sale for $50 and includes a beer kit. Some don't like them because they are owned by AB-InBev but I've had no issues with them. And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. Link below.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...-kits/products/1-gallon-craft-beer-making-kit

I picked up some equipment this year to support 2.5 gal batches, and I have really been enjoying that size. It is a size that can be boiled easily on a stove, chilled in a sink ice bath, and is a weight that can easily be moved around. 2.5 gals is right around a case of beer, so it is a volume where you can take a few gravity readings, open a few bottles as they age, enjoy the beer yourself, and not feel bad taking along a 6 pack to a gathering.

I am mostly doing all-grain BIAB in a 5 gal pot, but I have also done a few extract 2.5 gal batches...and man is that an easy brew day. I have a pair of 3 gal Fermonster fermenters, but 5 gal buckets would work as well. I also splurged on a pair of 2.6 gal kegs, but bottling a case of beer is not too much work.

The biggest downside of starting with medium size batches is that there are very few kits for sale or published recipes. While it is very easy to scale a recipe from 5 gals to 2.5 gals, it is not always easy to sort through all the recipes out there to find one to start with.

I can understand the appeal of 10+ gal batch systems, but I would rather brew and experiment more. I get the idea behind 1 gal batches. I do some 1 gal single hop beers, and my girlfriend has done some 1 and 1.5 gal batches. I am not a huge fan of the 1 gal jugs that yield 3/4 gal of beer.

BTW, there are some really cheap and tempting electric systems that look great for small batches, especially if you don't want to brew in your kitchen...like the 6.5 gal version of the Anvil Foundry that sells for $275: https://www.morebeer.com/products/anvil-foundry-brewing-system-65-gal.html There are cheaper and more expensive units as well.

i started out with 5 gal batches, but you might want to check out the cider forum also...living in an apartment, all you need is a bucket and some juice really.....

....(maybe a few kegs, co2 tank, extra fridge...lol)

Welcome to HBT!

I started with 2.5-3 gallon batch using kits. Purchased things for 5 gallons as it was readily available. Surprised how fast friends were to become my 'tasters' with the prospect of free beer. Works well as I ask and they provide good feedback. As long as I am willing to brew one of his favorites or a suggestion, he now purchases the specialty grains for all my brewing. 2.5 gallons goes quickly even though. I myself cannot drink a lot, epilepsy, but I love brewing. When I check on a fermenter my wife teases me that the beer fairies did not steal it when I was not looking

Like many others, I started with 5 gallon extract kits. Five gallons makes about two cases of 12 oz bottles. Follow directions, mind your sanitation, and it will be fine.

Back