First Keg and carbing issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpd85

Reaction score
I had to keg much later than expected. Beer went into the keg on Tuesday, but had to sit at room temp. I set the co2 to 30 for 24 hours, then got the keg into an ice bath for another 24 hours. The ice bath didn't keep cool too long, and I wasn't home to monitor anything. Anyways, added more ice but it kept at about 67F while I brought the co2 down to 20 for another day. Tried a pour at 11psi and it comes out all foam(and pours pretty strongly) but the beer is pretty flat. I am hoping to serve this 36hrs from now, and can finally get it into a fridge. I have no idea how to get it to serving levels, if possible. Any advice?

Using a pressure of ~30 psi at room temperature will lead to the same carb levels as ~12 psi at fridge temperatures. So you gave yourself a headstart on a "set it and forget it" method.

If you really need to get it carbed in 36 hours, I would chill it down ASAP (maybe with icewater or even brine rather than the fridge since that will eat up half your time), apply your calculated serving pressure using your temperature and a carbonation chart or calculator, and then shake the crap out of the keg until it stops absorbing CO2. Make sure you do this at serving pressure! Not at 20-30 psi. Once it stops taking in the CO2, let it settle in the fridge for as long as you can.

Ok thanks I will try that. There is quite a bit of headspace as I probably only yielded about 4Gallons minus the few foam run off beers I poured, will this effect anything(as far as the shaking goes)?

Also, doesn't seem like it should be overcarbed but it is shooting out like a fire hydrant and all foam.

Whenever the pressure is above serving pressure (10-12psi) it'll do that, if u force carb u have to relieve the pressure before pouring otherwise it'll foam

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back