first keeged beer, should i have primed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
im tryingto figure out which method will give me the most consistent results for my kegged beer. i like to brew, ferment, biottle and rink.. i like the flavor the bottle condtioning gives the beer. i also frind the carbonation to have a better mouthfeel that force carbed beer.
so, whats the general consensus? force carb or keg age with priming sugar, and if i do use priming sugar, is it the same about as for bottling a 5 gallon batch??

I force carb everything, and it's great- set my reg to 10 psi for about a week then serve. If you choose to keg condition, I believe you use about 2/3 the amount of dextrose. Good luck!

I forget the term, but for my last 4 or 5 batches, I've set my regulator at 20 PSI for about 12 hours, shake the keg like a madman, then let it sit at room temperature for about 2 days. Pop it on the regulator at serving PSI, let it chill, and you're good to go. Just a stylistic option, but I am an impatient bastard...

I've got enough pipeline and a couple of extra kegs that I prime and let it sit, since I usually have a few weeks before I have room in the fridge. You want to use half as much corn surgar as you do for bottline, so depending on level ~2.5oz per 5 gallons. If you have the time, or really like it more, then let it carb naturally, if not, then force carb. Etiher works fine.

Back