First IPA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazzs

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here, I was pointed at these forums by a mate in regards to getting help for my brew.

I would like to make a tasty IPA, I'd like to strain out the hops and add to brew.

I have an STC-1000 on the way will be here next week, need to start this brew next week.
my current STC-1000 I have no idea where I put it, and don't have a temp probe for it.

I've ordered all the parts for a DIY BrewPi as well since I have a few spare RPI's.
parts will get here in a month.

I've bought only dex so I can get a more alcoholic brew, I would prefer to leave this sitting for a year, but will taste a bottle every month or so, maybe one a week, with 5 cartons of beer from this brew to make I'm not fussed.

With this kind of ingredients I just want to ask what do I need to do (explain like I'm 5 :p ) to get this brew going. I've done some reading, but still a little lost. Thought the experts here could help me :p I'm an IT techie and DIY everything guy so stepping into the brewing waters!

I'll use carbon filtered rain water for water supply.

Brew will be kept at ~18C in a fridge with above mentioned STC-1000.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys and gals! I'm excited to brew.
Done vodka before, but that's super easy and very different :p

Here is the list of items I've bought so far:
Fermenter Drum 60L
Thomas Cooper - IPA (2)
Sparkling Ale Booster Pack 1.5KG (2)
Dextrose 9KG
Bottling Valve Blue

Forgot to add, I have bottling press for metal lids, and glass bottles.
Will prime with dex. mate is dropping off a sugar spoon for me next week.

IMG_20150206_164220.jpg

IMG_20150206_164225.jpg

IMG_20150206_164123.jpg

IMG_20150206_164059.jpg

Hops Brew method on packet.
IMG_20150206_164119.jpg

Last edited:
I believe IPAs are generally drank fresh, so I think I'd recommend NOT letting that one sit for a year.

ah ok thank's for that advice, I was told the beer gets better the longer you leave it.
I was going to bottle after a week so yeast cake doesn't make to much yeast flavour in brew , dex prime bottles (with not to much, damn exploding bottles! lol), and leave it for a while..

So IPA is to be drank after like a few weeks or a month?

Hi all, new member here, I was pointed at these forums by a mate in regards to getting help for my brew.

I would like to make a tasty IPA, I'd like to strain out the hops and add to brew.

I have an STC-1000 on the way will be here next week, need to start this brew next week.
my current STC-1000 I have no idea where I put it, and don't have a temp probe for it.

I've ordered all the parts for a DIY BrewPi as well since I have a few spare RPI's.
parts will get here in a month.

I've bought only dex so I can get a more alcoholic brew, I would prefer to leave this sitting for a year, but will taste a bottle every month or so, maybe one a week, with 5 cartons of beer from this brew to make I'm not fussed.

With this kind of ingredients I just want to ask what do I need to do (explain like I'm 5 :p ) to get this brew going. I've done some reading, but still a little lost. Thought the experts here could help me :p I'm an IT techie and DIY everything guy so stepping into the brewing waters!

I'll use carbon filtered rain water for water supply.

Brew will be kept at ~18C in a fridge with above mentioned STC-1000.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys and gals! I'm excited to brew.
Done vodka before, but that's super easy and very different :p

Here is the list of items I've bought so far:
Fermenter Drum 60L
Thomas Cooper - IPA (2)
Sparkling Ale Booster Pack 1.5KG (2)
Dextrose 9KG
Bottling Valve Blue

Forgot to add, I have bottling press for metal lids, and glass bottles.
Will prime with dex. mate is dropping off a sugar spoon for me next week.

IMG_20150206_164220.jpg

IMG_20150206_164225.jpg

IMG_20150206_164123.jpg

IMG_20150206_164059.jpg

Hops Brew method on packet.
IMG_20150206_164119.jpg

WHAT 9 KG OF DEXTROSE???its way to much. i would go max 1 kg.

WHAT 9 KG OF DEXTROSE???its way to much. i would go has max 1 kg.

I'm not going to use all 9KG at once haha... that's an investment of dextrose...
It will last a good few brews.

All I'll need to buy for next brews is kits and hops I think.

I'm here to find out how is the best way to make this brew :p
thanks guys!

ah ok thank's for that advice, I was told the beer gets better the longer you leave it.
I was going to bottle after a week so yeast cake doesn't make to much yeast flavour in brew , dex prime bottles (with not to much, damn exploding bottles! lol), and leave it for a while..

the longer you leave it, the longer the hop aromatic will disapear.drink fresh like 2or 3 weeks after bottling.

Bottling after a week is probably a bad plan. The recipes I have used called for 2 weeks in the fermenter, with another week of dry hopping. Then bottle. 5 ounces of dextrose for 5 gallons of beer was the recommended sugar level for bottling that I used.

I always try a bottle of my IPAs about a week after bottling. If it's carbed up enough, then chances are the rest of the bottles are good too. When it comes to hoppy beers, the fresher the better

Ah i see.
friends who brew said that it would take about 5 days to a week to finish fermenting, and to be at final gravity for 2 days, than bottle soon after that otherwise the beer would take up the yeast cake flavours?

So I'll need to buy some more hops as well for a week of dry hopping? (If it makes a way tastier beer I'll do it!)
I leave it in the same initial fermenter for a week, than dry hop for a week in same fermenter?
I only have 1 fermenter. :)

So for 10 ounces (~40L) I'd use 10 ounces (300grams) dex?
recipe's can vary so wildly.. I've seen similar recipe with 1KG dex..

Like others have said, if you bottle to quickly you may get bottle bombs because the fementation is not done and will build up too much co2 in the bottle. Ferment for a couple weeks, take hydrometer readings to make sure that fermentation is over, then bottle and control the carbonation amount with priming sugar. Also, I wouldn't suggest conditioning an IPA for any long length of time, the hops fade quickly so you want to drink them fresh. Other beers do condition well, darker and stronger beers like stouts and barley wines can get much better with conditioning, but not IPA, generally.

It takes multiple months (at the homebrewing scale) for the yeast cake to influence the flavor of the beer. Even then it's very minimal if at all, assuming it was kept at a sane temperature with suitable airlock and left undisturbed.

Of course there is no reason to leave a clean beer sitting for more than necessary, I'm just emphasizing that a few extra days on the yeast will not hurt. Do your dry hopping and go ahead and bottle when the gravity is stable.

The consensus these days seems to be to leave the beer in the primary for 3 weeks. Fermentation might only take 5 days to a week to "finish" but really that is just creating alcohol. If you leave your beer sitting on the yeast cake for a another couple of weeks that will give the yeast time to clean up any off flavors in the beer. I like to let my IPA's sit for 2 full weeks, then dry hop for 5 days to a week in the same fermentor.

You should look up a priming sugar calculator and use that to figure out how much dex to use to prime. I just use plain old cane sugar (white table sugar), its cheap and it works great. Most people will boil 2 cups or so of water with the proper amount of sugar, add the boiled mixture to your bottling bucket and then rack the finished beer on top of it. Give the mixed beer a gentle stir and then bottle.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm a new brewer, too, and I hesitate to even say this. But it sounds to be like you are all over the place. Maybe you could step back and watch some videos, do some reading, and watch some videos?

Something like this?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaDQ6S6p6Wk[/ame]
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Back